does this mean anything?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by peachachecha, Sep 16, 2011.

1. peachachecha

peachachecha Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    For the last hour or so my three hens have done nothing but eat out of their dish of grit and oyster shells. The dish is almost empty. Could they be getting ready to give me a much awaited egg. The two Marans were born the middle of March and the Isa Brown was born in April.

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Well, the timing sounds right, but I don't know that them eating the oyster shell is an indicator. Generally they eat it when they're lacking the vitamins/minerals, as far as I know.

3. rhpues

rhpues Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Timmonsville sc
    sounds like they are hungry

4. peachachecha

Aug 2, 2011
    I know, but they have food available whenever they want and they had a peach and half a tomatoe just before they started going nuts over the grit and oyster shells and they had had a few kale leaves too. Also, I give them corn and boss every afternoon. They should have their fill. They even got about 10 crickets that the neighbor kids hunted up for them.

5. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

Quote:Sounds like the timing is about right. How do their combs look? Nice and red? Are they squating for you? All good indications. Let us know when they decide to deliver. [​IMG]

6. peachachecha

Aug 2, 2011
    Thanks all for your replies, I know I am being impatient, can't help it. Their combs have a little more red to them but it is hard for me to tell since this my first adventure in chicken keeping. I think anything they do different will make me think they are going to lay soon, poor things. I will post when I get my first egg!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by