Does this mean I have a goat in heat?

toddntiff

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 10, 2008
New Mexico
Okay...so I've asked a lot of questions lately...you guys are so helpful!
smile.png

So my mini-lamancha is about 5 years old. She is in milk and hasn't been breed since last year. Today I noticed the tail wagging thing, even though she's still a bit stand-offish (I just got her yesterday) and then when she peed I noticed a little bubble came first before the pee came. Are these signs that she's in heat? I wasn't planning to breed her for another month until she got use to us and her new home but I wanted to know if these were signs to watch for.

toddntiff

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 10, 2008
New Mexico
Okay so from what I've read there is about 3 weeks between heats right? So I should look again in about 3-4 weeks to get her to the buck?

helmstead

Songster
12 Years
Mar 12, 2007
Alfordsville, IN
Yes, it's about a 18-21 day cycle. Thing is, heat doesn't last a certain amount of time. You might have only hours once you figure out she's in heat to get her to the buck.

kinnip

Songster
11 Years
Feb 24, 2008
Carrollton, GA
Mine do a lot of 'heaty' things even when they're not actually in heat. They wag their tails every time I walk outside. I've found that if they are mounting each other, producing a persistent discharge (not just wetness from urination) and their vulvas are puffy they're in heat. All of my findings have been verified by the real pros-- my bucks.
lol.png

tressiah

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 28, 2008
Beecher, Il
Hello,
I have 2 nubian females, 1 1/2 years old. When they go into heat, they bleat a LOT, :eek: seek extra attention, and I notice that the Vulva is VERY VERY red. We are planning to breed them in Nov/Dec, so kids will drop in the spring. These are twins, so our probabbility of both producing twins are high. That will be then 6 nubians, and that's enough.
lol.png

Top Bottom