Does this mean I have a roo

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by popsie, May 15, 2008.

1. popsie

popsie In the Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    Doncaster, England
    I have 7 silkie chicks (almost 4 weeks old now) - I'm wondering if the behaviour of one of them points to it being a roo:

When I first hatched them it was the first born and was always the most friendly and loved to come for a cuddle, he/she still is the most forward and always does everything first, but for the last few days each time I put my hand in the brooder it pecks me (it doesn't hurt but it's not nice - i feel like he's attacking me).

Anyway this morning I put my hand in and he/she ran at it, brought up both feet and sprung off my hand with them then landed back on his/her feet. Everyone who I have told said it's a roo defending its territory - I'm really hoping not - I really love her and have called her chrystal.

Please let me know your thoughts, thanx.

2. bangor777

bangor777 Songster

May 4, 2008
    HI, someone on the breeds pages was talking about how its easier to sex silkies...something about the shapes of their crests? Anyway, maybe you could do a search on that. Also maybe a photo would help? I've heard that silkie roosters are sweet anyways...he would just have to be a 'crys' instead of a crystal.
    Lori

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    They say the first chick to hatch is a roo [​IMG] But I don't know if this is true or not... but a whole bunch of BYC members can't be wrong...right? [​IMG]

From what I have gathered ...... the males may feather more slowly than the girls, have thicker legs/feet, the comb is wider and more plump and the feathers that come in on the head will tend to point back instead of up and out. Hope that helps [​IMG]

4. popsie

popsie In the Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    Doncaster, England
    But what about the aggression - the pecking and clawing? do girls do this also? thanx for your replies.

5. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Well, I know my Silkie is the GREEDIEST thing I ever saw and goes nuts when I give him treats and sometimes pecks my hand out of habit. But the only chicken to actually bite me so far is my pullet Roxie. I guess she didn't like me messing with her neck (was checking to make sure no one had picked up any stray lice from another bird I am treating) and she turned and bit me in the hand [​IMG] So, yeah, pullets and cockerals can both be aggressive.

6. popsie

popsie In the Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    Doncaster, England
    It doesn't hurt at all - and the pecking didn't bother me at all - but the springing off of my hand with both feet - was he/she trying to claw me? I'm not sure what that's all about?

7. chickflick

chickflick Crowing

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Maybe she was just being playful!!

8. popsie

popsie In the Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    Doncaster, England
    Really? Oh I do hope so.

9. jimnjay

jimnjay Songster

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    In my experience chicks that display the behavior you describe are little cockerels. The girls will sometimes do chest butts with the others but the little cockerels are usually the most bold and inquisitive. Certainly the attack to the hand is very typical of rooster behavior. For some reason there will be one that stands out among the rest very early. If you remove that particular bird another one will usually step up and take his place. Sometimes they start the pecking order very early. Watch and listen your little one may start to squeek soon as well. I have had the crow as early as 5 weeks

10. popsie

popsie In the Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    Doncaster, England
    Thanx for all your replies - I guess I'll just have to wait and see what else happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: