1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does this mean my chicken likes to be petted?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WillowTreeFarm, Oct 23, 2011.

1. WillowTreeFarm

WillowTreeFarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2011
    Toledo
    Last night, I was petting on of my Marans while she was on the roost, they weren't zonked for the night yet. When I pet her back, she lifted her wings up a bit and stayed still. Did she like me petting her or was it a 'get away i don't like it' move? Thanks!

2. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    It was a squat.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

It is an act of submission. That is the position they use to allow a rooster to mate them.

4. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Fred's Hens :

It is an act of submission. That is the position they use to allow a rooster to mate them.

This [​IMG]

5. WillowTreeFarm

WillowTreeFarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2011
    Toledo
    Ok, thanks!!

6. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:Willow.. [​IMG]

It's always fun to have them do that when you walk around them, some are more likely to squat than others, and let you pat them. I heard that giving them a pat, keeps them laying. Or, when they start squatting..if they haven't started laying yet, it will be soon. I know the latter is true.

7. KSTALL

KSTALL Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    I was wondering the same thing. My 17 wk old RIR did that to me today. I,m hopeing to see an egg before winter.

8. DanielB

DanielB Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    I have one that does that every time you walk in the run. Rather than move out of the way she just squats and stays where she is.

9. Brody's Broodello

Brody's Broodello Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    Not so much fun when you are walking behind them, they squat, you keep walking, not looking down, then see the hen "fly" across the yard. Because your foot just found the squatter!
    BWAK!!!!!!

10. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    I love it when they squat! I like to reach down and pet them, then give their tail a little shake. They fluff and shake after as if they've mated. Before they squat I can hardly get near them. Their feathers are so soft and silky......

Have fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by