Does This Mean My Silkie Is Definitely A Roo???? Any Silkie Experts??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PamB, Sep 10, 2010.

1. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    One of my 12 week old Silkies has a decent sized (compared to the other silkies), mulberry colored comb. None of my others have the mulberry color yet. He/she has had it for a few weeks already. Does this mean that there is no way it is a pullet??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  2. kingdr85

kingdr85 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Madison-Columbus WI
    Probably but you cannot be certain...for some reason I can easily tell on mine because the boys seem to have a much different body type, heads are bigger, the eyes are bigger, overall just seem a bit bigger and had a differnt look in there eyes (if that makes sense).

3. kingdr85

kingdr85 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Madison-Columbus WI
    one more thing....i think it is a boy.

4. PamB

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Thanks for the reply! I'm thinking a boy too. He is really sweet and one of the friendliest of all my silkies!

Anyone else?? I need a Silkie Expert [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  5. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    I have a white silkie with a mulberry comb and had resigned myself to "her" being a "he"....alas, "he" laid his first egg this week at the age of 5 months. Her partner in crime, a blue silkie with a HUGE walnut comb just laid her first too!

6. PamB

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Thanks, Boogiedog! That is what I was wondering....if there was even a chance that it could still be a girl. Boy, this is killing me waiting to find out...lol. They are all so cute and we love them all! I don't mind having a rooster, but the fewer the better and the less we will have to part with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by