Does this mean she is about to start laying or did she change genders?

WhenInRhome

Chirping
May 6, 2015
Rhome Texas
They are both about 5 months old and have not laid yet. Over the last week one of them started getting redder and her comb is a tiny bit bigger. Until last week they were identical. Does this mean she will lay soon or did she turn into a boy?

This is the one that changed

and her sister

It appears, in spite of the photos not being real detail-defining, that the upper bird is a cockerel. It didn't "change", but has begun to mature due to hormones.

Note the more vivid colored feathers, and the saddle feathers appear more like a cockerel than a pullet.

It's hard to tell because it's blurry, but the tail feathers on the upper one look like they are hanging down at the very ends. If you see longer tail feathers beginning to trail downward, you definitely have a cockerel and not a pullet.

Here are photos of them 2 months ago. Both have very small short single row combs. I looked it up and they are closer to 6 months. The three roosters in the bunch were VERY evident 3 months ago and all crow. Why would this one mature so much later?

This one is definitely a girl. The one in the next pics looked exactly like this till this past week. They are 6 months old

comb redder and bigger than last week

Here is another one we got at the same time (same hatch) that is a rooster. There are three roosters out of the bunch and they are much more developed and are crowing and mounting the hens. They are also giants compared to the two little easter eggers. I thought I had read that just before the females start laying their combs reddened.

The one you suspect is a pullet. There are no long, thin male saddle feathers. Notice how different the cockerel's feathers are compared to the one you suspect. Broad, rounded back feathers on a bird over 4 months old means pullet.

I sold the big Ameracuana in the last picture about 30 minutes ago. The couple who came really wanted to buy the easter eggers too. They are cute!

I would say you are definitely close to lay! Should be in the near future now :) her face will continue to redden up and her comb will grow. She may or may not "squat" when you approach, then next thing you know...
D.gif

What does the squatting mean? My chickens just started laying this week and I think only 2 are laying out of 8. I have noticed that 3 of them do this squatting thing when I get close. I thought they wanted to be petted. LoL

Back
Top Bottom