Does this mean she's gonna lay an egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by his4ever, Aug 13, 2011.

1. his4ever

his4ever Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    So, I cleaned out their coop and nesting boxes today. I noticed that they seem to dirty one of the boxes, so I moved the fake egg to one of the other boxes to encourage them to lay there. After I was done, one of my hens hops up into the coop and looks at all the nesting boxes. She then sees the empty box (with only litter in it) and she sits in there scratching up the litter every once and a while. Now, my girls have yet to lay (they are between 21-19 weeks old). I'm not expecting them to lay soon due to the excessive heat and I have a mini chicken run in the big chicken run with new hens I'm trying to introduce (I figured it might cause a little stress). Can I get my hopes up high? If this is it, how long will it take her? Thanks!

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They will practice in the nests right before they start laying. So it's definitely a good sign. [​IMG]

3. his4ever

Jun 25, 2011
    YAY!! [​IMG] Good signs are good. Can't wait.

4. his4ever

Jun 25, 2011
    She laid an egg! It was for real! [​IMG] I have my first egg! [​IMG] Picture to come later. So excited [​IMG]

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Congrats !!! Break out the cigars.

6. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    Congrats!!!!! I loved getting my first egg, it felt like my birthday!!!

7. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Breakfast soon!

8. LoreenH

LoreenH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Oregon
    Congrats! I got my first egg this week too! I have 5 pretty blue eggs from one or both of the Easter Eggers. Now the Sussex & Wyandottes need to get to laying.

9. his4ever

Jun 25, 2011
    Quote:YAY Loreen! A good week to get first eggs. I have about two more weeks before my BR and my Brown Legging starts, and then about a month or two before my RIRs start. Can't wait till everyone is laying so I will not have to run to the store. [​IMG]

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Congrats!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by