Does this mean she's gonna lay an egg?

his4ever

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 25, 2011
So, I cleaned out their coop and nesting boxes today. I noticed that they seem to dirty one of the boxes, so I moved the fake egg to one of the other boxes to encourage them to lay there. After I was done, one of my hens hops up into the coop and looks at all the nesting boxes. She then sees the empty box (with only litter in it) and she sits in there scratching up the litter every once and a while. Now, my girls have yet to lay (they are between 21-19 weeks old). I'm not expecting them to lay soon due to the excessive heat and I have a mini chicken run in the big chicken run with new hens I'm trying to introduce (I figured it might cause a little stress). Can I get my hopes up high? If this is it, how long will it take her? Thanks!

They will practice in the nests right before they start laying. So it's definitely a good sign.
thumbsup.gif

She laid an egg! It was for real!
big_smile.png
I have my first egg!
big_smile.png
Picture to come later. So excited
big_smile.png

Congrats! I got my first egg this week too! I have 5 pretty blue eggs from one or both of the Easter Eggers. Now the Sussex & Wyandottes need to get to laying.

Quote:
YAY Loreen! A good week to get first eggs. I have about two more weeks before my BR and my Brown Legging starts, and then about a month or two before my RIRs start. Can't wait till everyone is laying so I will not have to run to the store.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom