Does this mean something? UPDATE Pg. 3

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Big Dreamer, May 16, 2011.

1. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    I have been leaving the eggs from the girls in the laying area and one of them seems to be scooping them all up and putting them in a pile..she isnt sitting at all from what i have seen but they are in a pile. I put them all in the nest box and now they are in a neat kind of pile outside of the nest box i didnt move them so they must have!

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Someone is thinking about brooding. It is instinct to hide the eggs. Doesn't always mean someone will set though.

3. Big Dreamer

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    They arent hiding them but they are in kind of a spot where it isnt high traffic.. they just piled them upp..
    [​IMG]

4. Big Dreamer

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    This morning there was even more! The pile was moved into a crater kind of thing and there was i thinkg 4-5 in that and then 3 where it was before(in the pic) and then one in th nesting box...they are playing musical eggs with me or something, i just hope someone really commits and sts.. they dont seem to be very protective when i get close or touch the eggs. They do seem to acknowledge my presence more than when just standing there but no aggression

5. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Give them some fresh straw. Doesn't seem to be any soft nest material in there.

6. Big Dreamer

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    Ok i will! Thats what i was thinking too..DO i just throw some straw in there or leave a bale near it or what? I dont want to just lay it on the eggs, should i just leave the entire bale out near the house for them to take whatever they want?

7. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Put some straw in there loose. If they are wanting to nest, they will make one themselves.

8. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    It means they're playing--like little girls playing with dolls and cribs. They may decide to brood, or they may not, or they may brood for a while and then stop. What breed are they? Some breeds are more likely to brood than others. I agree with the comments regarding straw--they'll appreciate having materials to play with. [​IMG]

9. Big Dreamer

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    I just got a big bale of coastal straw/hay which is all we have down here. I put the entire bale in there tore some up and put it near their nests and just left the rest without the string so they can tear it up easier, i just looked out my window and ALL of the ducks are either surrounding it on top of it or digging through it..I have 2 Muscovey hens and 2 Welsh harlequins hens and i know for sure that both breeds are laying both WH and i think only 1 scovie..but on occasion i see an extra that looks mussie! I hope they really do commit!

10. Big Dreamer

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    So i moved the eggs (keeping them in the same position) to the side and put hay in the bottom od the crater and sort of built up the sides and then sprinkled it on top to entice them and then put the eggs back were and how i found them..i hope they arent just playing around with me i really want them to sit

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by