does this mean something?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bangor777, Jun 17, 2008.

1. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    I'm on day 17 with my pheasant eggs. noticed something last night while turning: some of the pheasant eggs are heavier than others (noticeably), these same eggs seem to 'settle' on their small end on their own after turning so they are sitting in the incubator almost at a 45 degree angle. others are lighter and lay flat in the bator. i can't seem to master candling. i'm hoping that the heavier ones are the ones that are developing, that the weight of the chick in there is what is making the egg lay in the incubator that way.

anyone notice this with their eggs? if i were to see egg movement when might that happen? so nervous here, first hatch!
    [​IMG]

2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    You could try and candle again what I found works for us is a 100 watt bulb in a lamp take the shade off and I wrapped cardboard around the bulb to form a cone and held the egg at the top part of the cone. Extrememly dark room and you could see well.

Heavier should mean that there is something in there but no always, we have candled some that we were positive had growth and they didnt.

Good luck [​IMG]

3. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    I've tried candling with a 150 watt bulb (and of course a 100 too)
    took a lampshade off....put a metal coffee can with a small hole cut out over the bulb...no luck. have a homemade candler which is a coffee can with a light bulb mounted inside and a hole on top...no luck. Dang eggs are brown and nothing seems to work. i could see veining at the beginning but now I'm lucky if I see an air sac. They should hatch on tuesday if they're alive...I guess i'll wait and see!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by