1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does this mixed rooster have the short legged gene?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ThiefPouter06, Mar 12, 2012.

1. ThiefPouter06

ThiefPouter06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    green co. KY
    [​IMG]

Short leg gene or just short legs?

[​IMG]

2. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    He does appear to have unusually short legs, but I can't really tell from that picture if he does have the creeper (short-legged) gene. Do you have any idea of what breed/mix he is? If he is part Japanese bantam or Dorking, he might.

Edited to add: I just saw your other post about short legged genetics where you said you have a rooster who is 1/4 Japanese, 1/4 Silkie, and 1/2 Jersey Giant. If this is the same bird you are talking about there, then, yes, he does have the creeper gene.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  3. ThiefPouter06

Sep 3, 2008
    green co. KY
    Yeah thats what he is suppose to be. I am going to breed him to standard wyandottes and a standard game hen so I sould be able to get a better idea from the offspring.

4. Fleabuskitty

Feb 23, 2011
    Have you tried the Chicken Calculator? According to it, a rose combed feather-footed short-legged chicken is a possible result of a Japanese (creeper/short-legged gene) x Silkie (crested, feather-footed, silky-feathered) crossed with a Jersey Giant (single comb). I have found it to be accurate, so maybe you can predict what you'll be hatching when you cross him with the Wyandotte and Game hens. That sounds like it could result in some cool looking chickens [​IMG]

5. ThiefPouter06

Sep 3, 2008
    green co. KY
    Yes I did. it is fun. I just dont no how his color would come from a black chicken.

6. Fleabuskitty

Feb 23, 2011
    Hmm, yeah, I didn't consider that. Maybe it isn't Jersey Giant after all? Or could it be white Jersey Giant? That would work if the Jersey Giant was recessive white depending on the color of the Silkie (assuming the Japanese is black-tailed white). Is there any way to contact the person you got him from to ask?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by