Does this quail have a broken foot?

sscaria

Songster
Mar 8, 2021
My dad was refilling the food in the quail food. As he closed the door, a quail tried to run through. The leg was squished. It’s been a few hours since this happened. I’m not sure if this is a broken leg or not, but it’s become swollen. He just sits and doesn’t evade my hand. He does kick and squirm though. I put him down for a moment and he walked down to his favorite little corner and plopped back down. He’s in pain I’m sure. I’ll attach some pictures. Right now my mom applied a turmeric, salt, and water mix. Kinda like a natural remedy. She’s a nurse and says that the blood had began to pool, so that’s not good.

5-5-21 UPDATE: This morning, he stopped using his other foot entirely. He's hopping around on one leg, other leg tucked under him. Kinda like what a chicken does to their leg when they get cold, if you know what I mean. He's just hopping around on a foot :( my mom put him back with the others because he keeps on getting out of the box so we wanted him back with his friends. he's in pain :( poor baby

Attachments

• 1F29B684-9A21-4235-93D8-9B646B84AD3F.jpeg
    1F29B684-9A21-4235-93D8-9B646B84AD3F.jpeg
    200.2 KB · Views: 66
  • BCB67FC1-9373-465C-8CEF-E4B312C11251.jpeg
    BCB67FC1-9373-465C-8CEF-E4B312C11251.jpeg
    247.9 KB · Views: 18
  • FAE238AC-CFF1-45AC-BF7E-58B87E28FD24.jpeg
    FAE238AC-CFF1-45AC-BF7E-58B87E28FD24.jpeg
    284.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
it looks like its just the toe, how is it doing today? with any injury i wait a day or two to see if the quail recovers or if its broken (weather "it" is a wing or leg). if it is broken i normally dispatch them, if not then they normally recover in a matter of days. i have several quail with broken or missing toes, it doesn't affect them.

Do you have a local vet that takes birds? They might be able to give you pain killers and other medication to help it heal

it looks like its just the toe, how is it doing today? with any injury i wait a day or two to see if the quail recovers or if its broken (weather "it" is a wing or leg). if it is broken i normally dispatch them, if not then they normally recover in a matter of days. i have several quail with broken or missing toes, it doesn't affect them.
i was just about to update the post. This morning, he stopped using his other foot entirely. He's hopping around on one leg, other leg tucked under him. Kinda like what a chicken does to their leg when they get cold, if you know what I mean. He's in pain :( is that normal lIke did your quails do that?

Back
Top Bottom