Does this really work?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sovia, May 6, 2009.

1. sovia

sovia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Black Hills of SD
    I have a year-old SLW that I don't think is laying. I know I read somewhere on this site that one way to tell is to insert a finger (with a glove on!) inside the vent and that one should be able to feel the egg forming.

The problem is that now, I can't find the post where I read this! Has anyone else heard of this or even tried it? I did try it this morning and felt nothing, but I would hate to cull her for no reason.

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

You don't need to insert your finger. What you are looking for is the distance between the ends of the pelvic bones that are near the vent.

If the bones are real near to each other, she is probably not laying. If the bones are spread far enough for an egg to come through, then she probably is laying.

Hope that helps !

3. sovia

Mar 4, 2008
    Black Hills of SD
    Okay, so now I am going to show how dumb and naive I am. I know where the abdomen is and I know where the vent is. My question is, are the pelvic bones between the two and do I need to press hard in order to feel them?[​IMG]

4. chickens3

chickens3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Eau Claire, Michigan
    Your chicken is having some big problems i dont know what to do about this one.

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    The woman on this youtube video has a video that shows how to tell if they're laying by using the pelvic width method. I'm not sure which of her videos shows it but if you watch them you'll find it.

ETA: Found it!! You'll be able to feel the "points of their pelvic bones" as she says.

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  6. sovia

Mar 4, 2008
    Black Hills of SD
    Thanks for the video link and the tips about checking the pubic bones, etc. I did it today and it was very simple! I love this website...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by