Does this rescue chick look ok? It seems bloated.

tmfineg

Songster
8 Years
Jan 1, 2012
Gallatin TN
I rescued it from a middle schooler who's AG department thought it would be a good idea to sell 1 baby chick to each child who wanted one. I actually received two from the same school from different people. News travels fast that you have chickens! The chicken seems bloated.

I hit send too soon...does this chick look healthy? It tends to lay down more than the other. I am also wondering if someone trimmed its wings. any thoughts?

Not sure what you're talking about on the bloated. Their crop expands when they eat and holds food for a period if you are talking about the lump on it's chest. Some are more active than others so it's hard to say. Does it fall over or have any other strange behaviors? The feathers on the wings look normal. I don't see any tailfeathers which makes me think they are only a few days old. The wings develop first then the tail at about a week.

No, not the crop, it just seems like it is a little bloated in the body. Maybe it is because the wings are short. Do you think they are just naturally short? Could someone have cut them? Here is a pic.

That chicks a whopper! I bet its a Cornish x or something of the sort, which would explain the fat/bloated look. Because they're little fatties!
Nikki

You may be mistaking bloating for the type of bird that it is.
It looks a lot like a production broiler to me and if it is it will likely reach some eye popping proportions.
An international chicken breeding company located here supposedly have a strain of fowl whose roosters reach over 25 lbs on unlimited feed and 15 or so on just a sufficient amount of food.

One thing is sure, this peep has enough foundation under him to carry a quite large body.

That is a Cornish X. They are meat chickens, and are supposed to be "processed" at about 8 weeks old. I have a bunch right now, and at 2 weeks old they weigh around 1 pound.

Back
Top Bottom