Does this seem confusing to you?

wannahavechickens

Hatching
10 Years
May 7, 2009
Front Royal, VA
Under "dogs and other animals" in our town code it says this:

Section 66-3 MAINTENANCE OF PENS AND KENNELS.

A. Pens, stables, coops, kennels and yards for any animals or fowl located in the town shall be kept in a sanitary condition at all times by the owner or person in charge thereof and shall be subject to inspection by the Health Officer, who shall be authorized to go upon the property in question to inspect facilities in plain view.

B. Violations of this section shall be punishable as misdemeanors.

Then a little farther down, there's another ordinance that says this:

Section 66-13 PROHIBITION.

Except for duly authorized parades, processions, zoos, circuses, rides, fairs and exhibitions, licensed pet shops, animal shelters and veterinary offices and hospitals, it shall be unlawful to raise, house, or otherwise keep livestock, fowl or exotic animals within the limits of the Town of Front Royal.

I guess I'm just confused as to why there's an ordinance that talks about maintaining coops and mentions fowl if those things aren't allowed within the city limits.

It seems that those persons under the 66-13 "except for" are the ones to keep their coops clean. Only those people can have animals listed and they need to abide by 66-3A in order to be in compliance and continue to have such animals.

Is there any loophole in there that allows chickens that are "pets"? I have seen posts on byc where there are very strict laws regarding livestock and fowl yet also allow 2-3 hens as "pets". Those sure are some severe restrictions you have there.

They need to define "fowl" for you. Believe me, they may think it means something different than you do. Same with "livestock". According to Ga laws, poultry is separate from livestock. The ordinance seems to conflict with itself. I'd go to the city hall/courthouse and have someone read that with you and help you understand what their intent is.

Well there is a separate section that defines fowl as any bird that is raised for the production of meat, eggs, feathers, ect.....so I guess in their minds it would and should clearly mean chickens. Now whether or not I could convince the town council that my birds (when I get them) are pets and not being used for the production of eggs...well that's another story entirely.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom