Does this seem like a good coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 7imagine7, Sep 4, 2014.

1. 7imagine7

7imagine7 New Egg

Sep 4, 2014
    Hello :) I'm interested in raising chickens,but have zero carpentry skills, so I've decided to buy instead of build my coop. Could anyone tell me if this seems like a good coop please? mhttp://columbus.craigslist.org/grd/4600546594.html I'd like to have four to six chickens, and I need for it to withstand an Ohio winter. Also, does the price seem fair? I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks for your time!

2. Northern nurse

Northern nurse Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2014
    My humble opinion, doesn't look very user friendly to me. Cheap chicken wire on the run is not very predator proof. I can' treacly tell if the whole roof comes off or if he just took pictures before adding the roof but trying to clean that thing out through a tiny little side door...almost impossible. Finding a good place for feed/water dishes would be difficult. The recommended space per chicken is at least 4 sq feet of interior space and 10 sq feet of exterior space. This tractor would only be adequate for about 3-4 chickens and if you have snowy winters, they would stuck inside that tiny house with no light or ventilation. Personally, I wouldn't touch it.

3. CHICKLOVER69

CHICKLOVER69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2014
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    I like it. Instead of having to clean underneath, you just move it to another spot and bam, clean floor.Only suggestion I would make would be to cover it in hardware cloth to keep the snakes and critters out. Maybe you can contact the builder and ask him to build you one covered in hardware clothe. The holes are smaller and snakes cant get into te coop.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    My personal preference is for a simple shed, 4x8 or 8x8, with a couple of nests and a roost added.
    the chickens can use the people door if you wish.

There is no such thing as too uch room for them. With a big enough coop, you can keep feed and other supplies right there.

5. CHICKLOVER69

CHICKLOVER69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2014
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Just built my first coop/run. If I had to do it all over again, it would be a shed i could walk into and store all the feed and supplies. You live and learn. I am happy with what I have but there is always something you would do different afterwards.

6. Northern nurse

Northern nurse Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2014

Moving it will give you a clean area for the run but you still have to try to clean out the night time offerings under the roost through a tiny side door. Again, if you deal with snow, moving that around much in the winter would be hard plus no roof on the run=a run full of snow. Ventilation is of primary importance and other then the hole in the floor, the coop has zero ventilation and zero light.

This.

7. 3chickchicks

3chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    N. Texas
    I would pass on this one.

It's too small for four chickens and it's not ventilated so you'll end up with birds that are fighting or birds that are sick.

8. LIChickens

LIChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Long Island, NY
    This design has
    1) Little predator protection
    2) No ventilation
    3) Too small for six chickens.
    4) Looks flimsy but that can just be a bad picture.
    5) Chickens need light to lay eggs. This coop has no windows.

The main thing going for it is the low price.

9. RueChardon

RueChardon Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2014
    Bluegrass Country
    Checkout carpenters coops on FB. Near Columbus. Love my lil tractor they made for My 3 hens, but they have larger, too.

10. 7imagine7

7imagine7 New Egg

Sep 4, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by