Does this silkie have split wing? Should he be shown?

vpeterson

Songster
11 Years
May 2, 2009
Forest Lake, Minnesota
I know that these wings are not quite right. Does he have split wing? Could I show him or would his wings hold him back? Should I use him for breeding.Will he pass along these wings? I really like his nice curved neck.

30032_9-21_001.jpg

30032_9-21_002.jpg

30032_9-21_003.jpg

30032_9-21_004.jpg

30032_9-21_005.jpg

Thanks for your imput.

Quote:
Yes this is a split , weak wing, and a good judge will DQ him if you show. I would not suggest breeding him especially if he is related to the females. If you breed him to relatives the offspring will get worse each year. I have bred some of these in the past because of not being able to get anything else. Get an unrelated female and the off spring will still carry the bad gene but it will be covered up.

Thanks for this post. I wasn't aware this was something to look for. I am ravenously reading everything I can before showing.

I wanted to add...he stands beautifully!

Last edited:
As with all birds, you can breed out faults if you are willing to work on it. Generally you will want to breed to a bird who is outstanding in the traits that are lacking in the other. Then watch the offspring and cull them from your breeding program if they continue the fault. Keep breeding to birds who do not have the fault in their background.

Some faults are easier to correct than others.

Back
Top Bottom