1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does this sound familiar? Panting and liquid poo.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PatS, Nov 25, 2011.

1. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    Hi all.

We have an almost 7 month old buff orpington pullet, normal size and weight. It is a mixed age flock, we have some that are 2-1/2 years old and some that are 1-1/2, many of whom are molting. This girl and her sisters are not. Some of the young ones have recently started laying. They free range and have access to organic lay pellets with some organic cracked corn as treats. They sleep in a coop with pine shavings covering the floor which is kept quite clean according to others who have chickens. None of the other chickens seem to have any symptoms. We have had our first big rain of the season a couple of days ago and the chickens have been playing/scratching in the wet leaves and drinking from puddles, but they do this all winter, every winter.

Yesterday when I opened the coop door she was panting and her comb looked shriveled, so I put her in the "hospital pen" outside. She plopped herself next to the waterer and drank and drank. (There was water in the coop, but no one had gotten off the roost yet.) A little while later she looked better, but I left her there, just in case. Later DH checked on her and she was panting again. She has liquid poops. She spends most of the time sitting, and her feet look twisted, but then she'll get up to move and they look okay. She is not walking normally, but manages to get around in her space, even juped up to "roost" on the little kitty carrier I put in for her to nest in. She was eating a little, but I have removed food because she has sour breath, but it is not obnoxious smelling. Her tummy seems firm, her crop is large, full, and squishy (she drank and drank a ton this morning). She is vocalizing. DH likens it to coughing, but it's not a voiceless cough, just an abrupt "bwah" or "hah." She does not seem at all congested, her eyes are clear and bright. She is continuing to pant except for right after she has been drinking. Her feathers look fine, if you saw her sitting, you wouldn't think anything was wrong based on the appearance of her feathers. Her tail is droopy and she's holding her wings funny.

Mareks? She's a little old. Botulism? Her neck isn't droopy. Sour crop? Her breath is a little bad but not really bad. Egg bound? Maybe?

I put some corid in the water when I saw the watery poop, that was yesterday. No access to vets, I'll have to treat her myself.

Any ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  2. PatS

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    Anyone?

She is still panting, and seems uncomfortable when she shifts position.

[​IMG]

3. MsMoerose

MsMoerose Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2011
    No advice but will give this a bump. I hope she feels better.

4. BurdBrain

BurdBrain Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2011
    If she is constantly gaping, consistently has runny droppings, doesn't eat nearly as much as she used to, and no longer lays eggs, it could be gape worm. Try picking her up and listening for gurgling or rattling, even if very subtle then this is another ssign she has Gape worm. It is often fatal and requires immediate treatment, and your local feed store should offer antibiotics and treatments for this condition.

Are her joints swollen by any chance? Any discharge from her eyes or nose? Are the droppings foamy, yellow, and very acridly foul-smelling? If any of those, you could be dealing with Colibacillosis, caused by ingestion of E. coli.

5. PatS

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    No history of gapeworm around here. It is panting rather than gaping. Her joints seem fine, but I think she is uncomfortable in her abdomen. No discharge. Poo is very liquid, not foamy. Doesn't smell worse than you'd expect. Vent is light pink. I'll go look up e. coli symptoms. She's on corid in case it is cocci. If it is cocci, how long after beginning treatment would it take before she starts to feel better?

6. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Actually, the symptoms you're describing are quite similar to what I have with my Brd Rock, she too is 7 mos. Except she doesn't have the sour smelling breath. It just started today for me. At first she wasn't drinking but she is now. I am giving her pedialite. I am also going to give her some Greek yogurt with olive oil later.

As for the sour crop, I did have a couple other pullets with sour crop several months ago. I added some cider vinegar to their water (about 1-2 tbs/qt) and I also gave them yogurt with some virgin olive oil mixed in. They loved it and it really helped them.

I'll update the progress of my girl. Hope yours does well.

7. PatS

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    Thanks, I'll put a little acv in the water and try the yogurt, it certainly can't help.

8. PatS

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    Right after the last post she had a short seizure (5 seconds or so) and died. So whatever it was, it was a short illness. Thanks for all the help, folks; I appreciate it.

9. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    I am sooo sorry! [​IMG]

My girl has been drinking the pedialite and yogurt and right now she is eating her layer crumble. She is still lying down, definitely not herself but better.

Again, I am very sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by