Does this sound far-fetched to you??

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Quail_Antwerp, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Ok, so ya'll have heard me complain about the inlaws a bit much, but lemme tell ya the most recent event.....when I say recent, I'm meaning 3 am this morning.......

So BIL and SIL are moving back to Florida (YAY!! ROCK ON!! HUGE PARTY AT MY HOUSE!!). SIL is already in FL with their DD. When they had moved to Ohio, BIL had purchased a 24' box truck, a commercial truck. He used it to move all of their belongings to Ohio.

Now he's using it to move all their belongings back to Florida.

Still with me?

Ok. Good.

BIL never checked the lug nuts on the truck. Back tires are duals...

At 3 am this morning, both tires of ONE side of the back came off the truck. A semi truck struck one of the tires, causing him to wreck. Somehow, the fuel tank was ripped open and spilled all of the semi's diesel onto the highway.

BIL has damage to his truck. Plus, damage to the Semi, damage to the road, etc.

Still with me???

BIL claims that State Troopers didn't site him! That they let him go, and he's not being held responsible for any of the damages.

Seriously?? Could that conceivably happen????

BIL says that the reason is because "the truck driver and state trooper thought the trucker had hit a road alligator" ?!

This happened somewhere in North Carolina, en route to Florida.

Just doesn't make sense to us. I mean, we believe his tires might have come off, but to not be responsible for the damages caused??!

So he's in NC for 2-3 days while his truck is fixed.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

If ya read through all this, thank you! [​IMG]

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Hey Quail! [​IMG]

Yeah..i'd say it sounds a bit fishy. I bet he just dosent want you guys to know if he got cited or not. Thank god their leaving though.. [​IMG]

3. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Hmm, maybe just extremely lucky.

QA, I just can't keep up with you. Lucky I caught this here. Maybe I'll see it on the other forum too.

4. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    [​IMG] Sounds like a story to me...we call my SIL Mrs Walt Disney. LOL she tells more stories than anyone I know. [​IMG]

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:Do you not know that a road alligator is a tire cap? or really any part of a tire that is in the road.

It's not the animal alligator, so it wouldn't matter if he were in Florida or Alaska!!! So the guy thinks he hit a part of a tire in the road, instead of a tire off of your IL's vehicle, and your BIL just kept his mouth shut.
    Sounds like the man has no conscience.

At least no one was injured.
    My in-law (not really sure what kin, he's DH's cousin) lost the front wheel off of his truck and the cast iron drum part broke in half when it hit the ground. Again, no one was injured but I bet it was pretty darn scary! I do wonder how both wheels would just happen to come off at the same time though.

6. Quail_Antwerp

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Quote:Do you not know that a road alligator is a tire cap? or really any part of a tire that is in the road.

It's not the animal alligator, so it wouldn't matter if he were in Florida or Alaska!!! So the guy thinks he hit a part of a tire in the road, instead of a tire off of your IL's vehicle, and your BIL just kept his mouth shut.
    Sounds like the man has no conscience.

At least no one was injured.
    My in-law (not really sure what kin, he's DH's cousin) lost the front wheel off of his truck and the cast iron drum part broke in half when it hit the ground. Again, no one was injured but I bet it was pretty darn scary! I do wonder how both wheels would just happen to come off at the same time though.

[​IMG] Yes LOL I know what a road alligator is. The point was, the trucker thought he was hitting a piece of a tire that was already in the road, not a tire (or two in this case) that came flying off my BIL's truck.

I've a hard time believing that his tires would come off, and then a Semi would hit it, and neither the State Trooper nor the Trucker put two and two together??

7. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:Ok. I thought from the part that I quoted that you were having trouble believing that he hit an alligator in North Carolina [​IMG]

8. Quail_Antwerp

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Quote:Ok. I thought from the part that I quoted that you were having trouble believing that he hit an alligator in North Carolina [​IMG]

LOL!

OH and I just asked my DH, apparantly the state trooper does know that it was my BIL's tire, but the trucker had told the trooper that the reason he hit the tire is because he thought it was just a road alligator....so he didn't try to go around it.

So, I guess because the trucker didn't go around it maybe that's why BIL isn't responsible for any damages???

9. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Sounds a bit far fetched.
    Where did the rims go?

10. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I find it hard to believe that both tires would have come off first of all. If that did manage to happen, I find it very hard to believe that he wouldn't be liable in some way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by