Does this sound good to you?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickenboy7c2d, Nov 13, 2010.

1. chickenboy7c2d

chickenboy7c2d Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Surrey, England, UK
    So, I'm thinking of getting another flock. What I ideally want is 3 runner ducks, 1 runner drake, 1 maran hen, 2 araucana hens, 1 black leghorn, 2 silkie hens. Do you think that these breeds will get on? Will any of them lay through winter? Do any get broody? Will the drake try to breed with the chickens?

2. chickenboy7c2d

Mar 10, 2010
    Surrey, England, UK
    Anyone??

3. chickenboy7c2d

Mar 10, 2010
    Surrey, England, UK
    Anyone???

4. lovinlife

lovinlife Chillin' With My Peeps

I've heard of people keeping ducks and chickens together, but I don't have any experience with it.

Egg production will go down in winter, but shouldn't stop. Where you live impacts production also (winter temps).

5. chickenboy7c2d

Mar 10, 2010
    Surrey, England, UK
    I live in England, cold winters and sometimes snow

6. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    The ducks make a huge mess. I really wouldn't recommend housing them together since the ducks will keep it damp and moist, which is bad news for the chickens.

7. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    If you are concerned about laying/ production, I would get more Leghorns and less Silkies and Araucana's. Araucana's are a South American breed, and although I don't have any myself, they are not know for their productivity and I imagine a cold English winter would not improve it. Just my theory. Marans are good cold-weather birds, and so far mine is laying almost daily, but I live in Florida.

8. FiveHens

FiveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Putting lights in their coop(s) will keep at least the chickens laying through the winter (giving 14 hours/day of light). I have no experience with ducks, but I expect they would work along the same lines. I do not know if the drake will try to breed the chickens..I'm thinking probably not.

9. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    The leghorns will lay all year the silkies get broody often I dont know much about the rest

10. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    I guess it will be ok to have them in a coop together as long as its big becouse ducks are very messy. It might be a little trouble with the silkies becouse there soft feathers really like to pick up stuff like that and you may need to clean them often.Just make sure you dont raise the ducks and chicks together becouse I have tried that before and it was a huge mess the ducks splash everything everywere getting the chicks extremly dirty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by