Does this sound like a fair deal to you?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by arabianequine, Aug 21, 2011.

1. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    I have 20 acres and want to sub divide it into 4-5 acre parcels. I am advertising it for sale....but it needs to be surveyed and subdivided so each lot has its own parcel number. I talked to a guy today and he said you should just trade a lot to have that done. What we are asking for is that they pay any fees to have that done and the money they pay comes off their balance for their 5 acre parcel. What I have found so far that it would at the most only cost 1/4 to 1/2 our asking price so it does not seem fair to me.

I was told to list each 5 acre parcel at $39,000 by my real-estate agent....not long ago with-in a year. This is just dry land, power is close and well is obtainable but not included. It is also pretty rocky here.

What do you all think about what that guy said tonight or any other ideas?

2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Since that's a bit of cash, call around and get a fair idea of the costs to survey.

3. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    I would call around too and ask with your county what regulations there are to do that kind of lot split.

My friend is on the dry side too and has a neighbor who wants to split, but it has been a several year process. I will ask him tomorrow what he thinks a survey will cost.

4. arabianequine

Apr 4, 2010
    Quote:I have and I come up with $10,000 to $20,000 and the later is pushing it, I think more like $10,000 so why would I give him or anyone a whole lot?

5. arabianequine

Apr 4, 2010
    Quote:I know they told me that I can split down to 1 acre lots. No convents here at all. I heard it runs time wise 6-9months but that is the county poking.....that varies on their work load.

6. HighNDryFarm

HighNDryFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    Can you even sell property that's not split? A bank won't loan on property that doesn't "comply" so it would need to be split, have a water a power source. But did you know that you can make boundary adjustments to your property w/o bieng surveyed? Of course to sell it, you need to make it legal parcel.

7. arabianequine

Apr 4, 2010
    Quote:You are correct that is the issue....and a disadvantage to us. How this is a disadvantage to us is that I need someone willing to do this under these terms and that has the cash per say.

I will take earnest money with the agreement of the surveying and plotting to get done and that that money will come off their the purchase price. We would have some sort of signed contract of what that money is for. Then as soon as the lot numbers are issued it will change over to a actual purchase agreement. I have heard of this being done and can be, just a bit tricky.

8. arabianequine

Apr 4, 2010
    I have known real estate companies to actually help with this too. How I don't know but wording has to be just right. I almost need an investor to buy and that makes my odds really low.

9. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    I'm not sure I completely understand your question but around here it would not cost anything like $10,000 to get a twenty acre tract of land surveyed and divided into fourths.

Have you asked two or three licensed land surveyors for a price to do it?

10. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    that's a bad deal... there's not way you'd pay that for surveying. Just pay to have it surveyed. Was the fella a surveyor by any chance and looking for a deal?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by