Does this sound like Mareks disease to you?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jkzimm04, Aug 12, 2011.

1. jkzimm04

jkzimm04 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    I have a young hen who recently had what I thought was sour crop. I had made a bunch of phone calls to see if I could find a vet in my area who deals with chickens. Eventually I found one. I told her all of my chickens symptoms and she told me that it sounded like Mareks to her. Her symptoms are as follows:

Bloated and enlarged crop that seems to be liquid filled and hot to touch
    It doesn't empty out from day to day
    That is all, she really has NO other symptoms.

I was sure that it was sour crop and now this vet has me freaking out a bit!! If it is Mareks, I know that my other chickens are probably doomed. My other chickens seem fine so far. She didn't actually come out to look at my chicken and I don't know if it really sounds like she knows what she's doing anyway!! She said it's outlook was grim and the chance for survival are slim. Which if it is Mareks, I know that!!

If for some crazy reason it would be Mareks, is it transmittable to humans?

2. nonsuch

nonsuch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Poy Sippi, WI
    This sound like a "Crop" problem and not Mareks. Did you check with Dr Peter Brown aka The Chicken Doctor? Go to the First State Vet Supply Websits. He has a medication for sour crop. I would write on his forum and hopefully he will answer quickly. He also does telephone consultation for $25 unless you make a $50 or more purchase from the Vet Supply.

3. jkzimm04

Apr 7, 2011
    Oh, and one more symptom, she STINKS when I smell her! I massage her crop and this disgusting smell comes out of her crop!

4. jkzimm04

Apr 7, 2011
    I will check him out right now!!! Thanks for the info!!

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I am dealing with Mareks, diagnosed by lab, and NONE of mine sound like yours..... sounds like a crop problem to me [​IMG]

6. MKingsolver

MKingsolver Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2011
    Rainy Western WA
    I just put a roo down from Marek's (also diagnosed by lab) and what you're dealing with definitely does not sound like Marek's symptoms to me. Sounds like a crop issue and probably wouldn't hurt to get some sour crop meds in her.

P.S. Marek's is NOT transmittable to humans, dogs, cats, etc...it's a bird only disease.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by