Does this sound like Mareks Disease?

Petlover4life

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2021
When I went to let my silkie (who will be 1 in the summer) out this morning I noticed she seemed like she was injured and laying on her side and unable to stand. She had done this 3 weeks ago as well and was fine a few hours later. She was fine today after a half hour of holding her and is walking fine and acting normal. Does this sound like Mareks Disease and do the symptoms come and go?

Do you have other chickens? Mareks spreads rapidly so others would soon show signs. I had/have it and some of mine did show signs - apppear to get better - then abruptly die. That said your chicken could have been sick for many reasons. Hoping it’s not Mareks for you.

Do you have other chickens? Mareks spreads rapidly so others would soon show signs. I had/have it and some of mine did show signs - apppear to get better - then abruptly die. That said your chicken could have been sick for many reasons. Hoping it’s not Mareks for you.
Yes I have 6 total, she is with another silkie my others are separated bc they are mean to the silkies. I've had her almost a year and contacted the lady I got her from asking if she's ever seen Mareks with her others and she said no. How long did yours get better for? She also did this 3 weeks ago and was fine an hour later. I'm really hoping this is something else.

My first one got better and worse multiple times before it died. They had Coccidia too which is common so I just thought she had a bad case. After I had confirmed she had Mareks I was culled my all other birds that had symptoms immediately. It really is a terrible disease to get. But I now get all my chicks vaccinated and have been good with all future generations.

My first one got better and worse multiple times before it died. They had Coccidia too which is common so I just thought she had a bad case. After I had confirmed she had Mareks I was culled my all other birds that had symptoms immediately. It really is a terrible disease to get. But I now get all my chicks vaccinated and have been good with all future generations.
Sorry for the poor grammar 🙂

This doesn't give me hope 🥺. How long before she died? And did she have the same symptoms? I was hoping maybe vitamin C is all she needed 😔

It took about 5-6 weeks until the first sick bird died. Of course many different illnesses are similar symptoms. Only advice I can give is keep them very isolated just in case. Out of my original 32 only 8 are left.

Back
Top Bottom