Does This Sound Like The Start of Prolapse?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by corliss, Nov 23, 2010.

1. corliss

corliss Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2010
    Last night I went out to shut the pop door and check that everyone was in. When I looked on the roost, Trouble, our white easter egger, was straining with her vent towards me and something pinkish and organ-like appearing at the vent opening. I ran back in to check on this forum what a prolapse looks like but wasn't successful. I returned to the coop to find Trouble had laid one of those rubbery like eggs, despite having already laid a regular egg that day. Am I getting upset for nothing (I've never seen a chicken lay an egg with such a clear view of the vent - maybe this is always what is looks like?) or is this a possible sign that she may suffer a prolapse?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    What did the vent look like after she laid the egg?

3. corliss

corliss Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2010
    Her vent looked pinkish but without anything protruding. I examined her again this morning and the vent opening puckered in and out while I was looking and looked a little larger than usual. She didn't lay today, thank goodness, but I am worried about the next time she does. Her last egg wasn't gigantic but a little bigger than normal for her. Thanks for any help you can give.

4. edselpdx

edselpdx Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Sounds like normal laying to me, except the soft shelled eggs seem to take them by surprise, so they often lay in odd spots. I wouldn't worry. Maybe make sure she's getting enough calcium to help prevent soft-shelled eggs in future. It's only a prolapse if the tissue is unable to go back in appropriately and completely after the egg has been laid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by