Does this sound like worms?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by krista74, Nov 9, 2014.

1. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    I have a 1 year old RIR who was wormed with Sykes Poultry Wormer about 4 months ago. At the moment she is desperately broody, and has been this way for about a week. I do not intend to hatch any eggs under her, so after a week of constantly removing her from the nest, this morning she was placed in a broody buster cage in a spot under the trees in their run. She can still see the other hens and the rooster, but much to her consternation there is a cool breeze today, and she is stuck right in the middle of it!

Aside from the regular broody behaviour (attachment to the nest, puffed up feathers and growling) my girl is exhibiting two other symptoms which I suspect may be due to a worm infestation. Firstly, (and I'm not sure if this is a broody thing, a worm thing, or just some weirdo behaviour on her part,) she is ruffling her feathers constantly. Every two minutes or so is fluffing them up and shaking herself from head to tail.

The second, and more concerning symptom, is that when she poops there is a little brown blob of poop, and then a whole lot of bubbly 'water' over the top. Now, I do preface this in saying it has been very hot here - yesterday it was 100F degrees. She drank what I would call an unusual amount of water compared to what she would normally drink. Her poops all day yesterday were very watery and had some bubbles in them, and there were no 'normal' poops to be seen. Yes - I followed her around like a stalker for an hour, lol!

At present, she has some layer feed (yes, she still eats voraciously) and some water with worming treatment in it. The whole flock is being treated for worms also. I guess my question is: Would you suspect worms as the culprit of her weird poop in his case, and is there anything else I should do for her?

Thanks heaps!

- Krista

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Her behavior is normal for a broody. It's normal for birds to drink a lot of water when it's hot and excrete watery diarrhea, bubbles would be normal too.
    Birds infested with worms are lethargic, wont eat nor drink, not act like a normal chicken should. Since you are worming all your birds, follow up with probiotics for a few days after worming them.

3. krista74

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    OK, thankyou. I will do just that.

When you suggest probiotics, are we just talking about some yoghurt to eat, or is there a supplement that I should buy?

Thanks again for your prompt reply.

- Krista

4. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
  5. krista74

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
  6. krista74

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    I have attached a picture of my girl, who is currently incarcerated in my Broody Buster! As you can see, it is a metal dog cage. At the moment it is sitting flat on the dirt, and the cage is situated under a tree in our run, but since she is roosting I don't suppose that is an issue - the air is still getting underneath her.

Should I allow her to sleep outside in the run like this overnight? We are expecting a 'low' of approximately 44F (7C) overnight, but there is no rain predicted. Her crate has a tin roof over it but is open on the sides.

If I allow her to stay in the coop, I do place her on the roost at dusk, however I have found that in the morning she is back in her nest box!

[​IMG]

What is the best thing to do for her? She has access to layers pellets and water, but there is no bedding provided at all.

- Krista

ETA: Please excuse her 'bad hair day!' She is our rooster's favourite girl, hence the apron.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You can leave her outside in the cage for the night. Cover the cage with an old blanket, then remove it in the morning. I caged a hen and put her in the garage separated from the others for about a week, five days for another hen once.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by