Does this sound safe for my birds?

operator16

Songster
9 Years
May 15, 2010
Colorado
We have a garden that's 100'x50'. The chicken coop is inside it in one corner. The whole thing is fenced with a 11 or 12 foot fence. The fence is made of welded wire with 3"x2" squares. Do I need to worry about critters squeezing through those holes or climbing over to cause the chickens trouble is they are allowed to run free in the garden? Will my birds try to fly up to the top of the wire to roost? Can they? Our biggest predators around here are hawks, owls, fox, coyote, maybe some racoons, and I hear there is a mountain lion that comes through this area. I've seen prints the size of my hand....
fl.gif

I would really love your experienced thoughts on this. I want them to have more room to roam safely.

Thanks!!!

My fence is much lower than that (4') and the girls have never gone over it, although they could. I think you'll be fine. Other than hawks, they should be OK during the day. I would make sure they are locked in a secure coop come dark! Coons can get over any fence. As far as hawks, I'm not sure there is much you can do about them but hope. I haven't lost a chicken yet to one, but I have alot of trees and bushes that they like to use for cover. Good Luck!

Nice elk fence! I'd add some hardware cloth around the bottom 24" or so, and an electric fence. Also, run some mason's line across the top of the run to discourage hawks. You won't stop a bear, might stop a mounatin lion, but you'll keep them safe from coyotes on down.

Few things will stop a determined cougar or bear, short of manned guard towers and electric fences set for kill.

Back
Top Bottom