Does this type of thermometer exist?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DangerChickenHouse, Oct 23, 2011.

1. DangerChickenHouse

DangerChickenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    I want to put something in the coop to read the temperature and then read it from a device in my kitchen. I don't want it to tell me what the temperature is outside. I want it to tell me what the temperature is from inside the coop.

Any help is appreciated.

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    You can buy thermometers that read remotely via a sensor so it will read whatever the temp is where the sensor is located. I have one for my reptiles. It allows me to see what the temp is in the habitat, from another part of the house. It works a little like a baby monitor in that you have two units. One is the thermometer that measures the temp and the second unit displays the temp for you. When I incubated the first time, I kept the unit beside my bed even though my incubator was in another room. This allowed me to check the temp in the incubator without getting out of bed. I would try a pet store - that's where I found mine.

3. DangerChickenHouse

DangerChickenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Yes! That is exactly what I want!

I did a search on amazon and didn't see what I wanted. I'm glad they exist!

4. luvmy33chicks

luvmy33chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Long Island
    i just saw something like this at wal mart
    a sensor is put outside to tell you the temperature and weather
    then the station part is in the house
    the cheapest one i saw was like $20
    good idea too

5. TN_BIRD

TN_BIRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Something like this?

Holidays are coming, so these sorta gadgets will be sold everywhere.

We have one. Was neat at first, but then the batteries died and we had to constantly reset the darn thing. There is something to be said for simple stuff (big outdoor thermometer with a dial that you can see from across the yard)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  6. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    Many thermometers for home use have a sensing unit that remotely connects with a receiver that is kept indoors. I have one such setup and the two parts are 100 feet apart. So, I imagine that it would be possible to put the sensor inside your coop if it's not too far away. I bought mine at a big-box home improvement store. Many similar models were available.

7. luvmy33chicks

luvmy33chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Long Island
  8. weeders n feeders

weeders n feeders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Charleston,SC
    Do your search on La Cross temp sensor or weather station. They are real good. I've had several for years. The trick on the batteries for the outdoor sensor is use quality batteries(not cheapo ones) and make sure it is protected from rain.
    There are models with clocks and alarm clocks, simple temp/ humidity and some that can handle multiple sensors and some that could even be connected to your computer. If you happen to get a bad one contact the company. I've been very pleased with their customer service making them worth the few extra bucks you may have to pay.

9. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a La Crosse in my coop that measures temp and humidity. I've had it for three years now and only changed batteries once. Works like a charm. Model# WS-8300U
    ETA Link http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/8300/manual.pdf
    Also
    , most of the duel units measure inside humidity, not outside. So make sure you read specs carefully.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  10. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I have the La Cross sensors too. Work great. I put the coop sensor in a ziplock to keep out the dust.

Imp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by