does time of day matter?

mrs918

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 14, 2011
spokane,wa
So I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my girls first eggs. But had a random question hit me.....do chickens lay at certain times of day? Does it just vary on the chicken?

Goofy question I know, but looking forward to the answers!

I have one hen that is as regular as clockwork.. she is in the nest about 9:00 am.. another two fight over the same nest..settling into side-by-side boxes after squabbling for a bit.. they are before noon.. but not as predictable... others wonder in and out..

So my answer is that time matters to some it seems.. and to others.. not so much..lol

Shelly

Mine seem to follow a 25 to 26 hour schedule, starting in the morning around 8 or 9, then increasing from there every day until they've laid around 3pm, sometimes 4pm. Then, since the next day they would have to lay closer to 6pm, they skip that day and lay early the next. They aren't all on the same schedule of course, but tend to follow this pattern.

It depends on the breeding. I've had a couple different strains of red sex links and ISA Browns. These are basically commercial poultry sold to the public through the hatchery surplus. These ladies are like clock work. Every morning, from 7 am to 8 am. Done. No stragglers and no later day laying whatsoever.

It makes egg collection easier, of course.

I'ver read here many times about the 25 hours "cycle", but this isn't true for the many strains I've had. More reflective of traditional breeds.

Quote:
Pretty much the same as Jeffross' birds...

Ditto

If I get eggs at 9 AM today, I can expect them closer to 10 AM tomorrow. That's from brahmas, EEs, SS, SFs, silkies, and turkens.

Back
Top Bottom