Does touching the eggs hurt them?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sharksandguitars, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Sharksandguitars

Sharksandguitars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Watson, LA
    I am hatching my first batch of eggs, and my husband says he read that touching the eggs can kill them. I have to touch them because I have to turn them several times a day. What precautions need I take?

2. Orpingtons4U

Orpingtons4U Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    Central Virginia
    You can touch the eggs

3. Sharksandguitars

May 4, 2011
    Watson, LA
    Yay!

4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    The only time that you should not open the incubator or fool with the eggs is from day 18 on. But from day 1-18 touching the eggs is fine. Good Luck on your hatch.

5. Sharksandguitars

May 4, 2011
    Watson, LA
    Thank you! I will be candling them in a week or so :)

6. jt813

jt813 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    i normally wash myu hands before i touch them because if their is any thing on mty hands i dont want to put it into the incubator but if you do that you can touch the however much you want

7. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

You can even write on your eggs!!!

I write in marker - breed and date they were laid. 90%+ hatch rate every time.

Touch them all you want...........until lock-down!

8. Sharksandguitars

May 4, 2011
    Watson, LA
    I wrote on mine with marker too, and then my husband was like "I read that the marker can seep through the egg and kill the chick." And I was like, "Too late now!" haha. It is probably a good idea to use only non-toxic markers, like the ones the kids use. I will have to look up about permeability of the egg shell. I sooooo want to take an embryology class...just none of the universities around me teach it :(

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Wash your hands before turning eggs as oils on your skin can clog the pores of the eggs, but other than doing that, yes, you can touch them. You have to if you're hand turning them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by