Does Using a Large Water Container make sense?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Sunnysidedown, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Sunnysidedown

Sunnysidedown Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2014
    Hi there,
    We have just 5 hens and presently use 2 water containers, 1 qt and 1 gallon. I was thinking of getting a 3 gallon water container for when we are on vacation until it didn't seem to make much sense to use a larger container. As many of you have come to discover chickens are messy critters and kick up dirt into their waterers even just after 1 day. Even if the waterer is hanging up above the ground or up on a higher platform the water gets dirty fast. If the dirt isn't from the hens kicking it up into the water it still gets dirty just from their dirty beaks in a very short time. I find myself changing the 1 gallon waterer before it's even half empty due to the dirt collected in the dish. So getting a 3 gallon waterer would get dirty just as fast as the smaller ones so does it make sense to size up? What do you do to keep the waterer clean and fresh other than changing the water every other day? Thanks for your feedback!

2. dsbailey70

dsbailey70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2014
    Nederland, Texas
    If you're able to hang one on your coop, a large rabbit waterer works very well. The kind with the big ball bearing in the end of the tube. I used one until I got a new coop; it won't hang in the new one. The worst you'll have is sometimes a little wetness from dripping. Or you could look into a watering line system (PVC piping, watering nipples), but those are usually for larger flocks :)

3. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    For that number of birds, you could use a two gallon bucket with the horizontal nipples. You'll need to set it on a block or something. For my small pens, I use one gallon drinkers with the horizontal nipples. They are mounted to the wall. I never have dirt in their drinkers. I do take them out to scrub the algae out as necessary.

4. Sunnysidedown

Sunnysidedown Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2014
    Thanks for the info on nipple waterers. That sounds like the real deal for avoiding muddy waters. I have checked around my town for different types of waterers but haven't ever seen any of the nipple types offered for sale here. Would you be so kind as to offer me a source for nipple waterers, either retail or web sources would be great, thanks again!

5. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    You can get them on eBay, Amazon, or directly from the sellers. Pick the kind you think will work best for you and do a search. There are horizontal nipple drinkers and vertical. The vertical are cheaper. I prefer the horizontal after working with both here on our farm. We get the nipples from Susan at allboutchickens.com for use in our own brooders/coops as well as our product line. Whoever you get them from, I'm sure you'll be happy. Horizontal nipple drinkers save me so much time and the bird bedding stays dry which is very important for their health. Wet bedding encourages mold and cocci. Poopy water can spread disease, too. Using a nipple drinker of either type is a healthier choice compared to conventional drinkers.

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Here is a good source for the nipples, and just do a search here on BYC to get a idea on putting the bucket together.

http://www.twincitypoultrysupplies....n_page=product_info&cPath=30&products_id=1000

7. rc4u

rc4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2014
    i realy dont worry about the dirt in the bottom of the dish...these are animals and have the bacteria needed for there health...the water is basically clean just the dirt on bottom....heck look at your ancestors did they have all this bottled water and such or even a clean well or many times a river or stream.....dont frett it....but dont ignore it for a few weeks either..jeff

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by