Does Very Warm Weather Bring on Broodiness????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SandyC, Jul 7, 2010.

1. SandyC

SandyC Songster

We are in the midst of a heat wave here in the NE and I suddenly have 3 broody chickens!!!!! Two are in the same nest and one in another nest.
    Is this normal? I'm running out of nest space!!!!!

2. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    I have a bunch -3- going broody for the first time as well, and we're in a heat wave in PA.
    I was thinking that the continued warm to their underside might make them more likely to be, just because to break them, people often try to cool their undersides
    ... just a thought, though, not based on anything, Im not going to let mine brood, because I have too many chicks right now,
    and I also don't want to supervise them drinking enough & staying cool in the coop.
    If you have a well-ventilated, high ceiling coop with a fan, you could try it [​IMG] My coop isn't good that way.

3. tinychicky

tinychicky Songster

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    I THINK SO!!!!!!!!! we currently have five broodies - two alone in seperate nests, two in the SAME nest, and one ON TOP of the nest box [​IMG] i wonder what it is .... well i have one hen who gets broody when we go on vacation ( we have an extra 5 unwanted mixed roosters because of it), so maybe this is the same sorta thing [​IMG]

4. SandyC

SandyC Songster

I can't supervise them. I have too much going on. I tried to give the too in the nest water tonight and they nearly pecked my hand off! Can I just trust them to go drink and eat?

5. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    My 2 d'Uccles are broody, again. They have chicks that still peep running around in the run with the adults and there they both are sitting on eggs, even when it is 102* outside. Crazy chickens.

6. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:That's what I'm doing. I just check on her every day to make sure she isn't withering away. I have never seen her off the nest, but in this heat I know she HAS to be drinking sometime while I'm gone to work

7. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    What a great question! I wish I knew the answer! I've got two broodies as we speak (a 1yr old Silkie who has never laid an egg and a bantam Cochin Frizzle who is 8 mos old and laying).

As luck would have it, I received 12 hatching eggs in the mail last week but received 5 more than my bator can handle. [Broody enter stage left]. I put the 5 eggs under my Silkie at the same time I loaded up the bator and 3 of the 5 are developing on track four days into it! [​IMG]

Go Freida!!!
    [​IMG]

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Free Ranging Staff Member Premium Member 9 Years

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Not for me. Maybe it's just not hot enough here..............nah......I think I just have stubborn girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: