Does Wry Neck (stargazing) reduce fertility?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by suebgbr, Jan 9, 2013.

1. suebgbr

suebgbr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2012
    Bolton, England
    My Light Sussex juvenile Rooster recently had wry neck. I got him through it and now we are best of friends.
    Of the hatch there are 3 roosters and 2 hens. I would like to sell the other roos and keep this one for the hens. Does wry neck reduce fertility or should I choose one of the other roos to keep?

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA

I have never read anything about this and I just did a quick search. I would suggest that you NOT keep him as a breeder as wry neck can be passed on to the offspring and as I'm sure you know from helping him through it, it can be a difficult issue for both the bird and the caregiver. Sometimes wry neck is a hatching accident, a nutritional issue, but since it can be gene based, that would be my approach. Best of wishes and have a blessed day. Hope this was helpful to you. Farmer Nancy

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It's best not to breed animals that are not healthy and thrifty. Even if it's not genetic itself, the tendancy toward a nutritional defeciency could be inherited. Keep him for a pet if you want, but pull him off the hens if/when you choose to incubate eggs. You really don't want a bunch of wry neck chicks, do you? Or chicks that just aren't healthy?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by