Does Yelling/ Slamming Doors Kill Incubating Eggs?

In a special needs classroom, it would be a bit more difficult to control, because of the impulsive nature of the kids! I'm glad you're able to give them this wonderful experience. When I'm tenderizing meat in my kitchen (my bator is on the counter beside the sink) I'm extra careful and do the pounding on the kitchen table during incubation. One thing that a lot of people are not aware of is how very sensitive birds lungs are, and especially, developing embryo's. Teflon is extremely toxic to birds. So, while I do still use my Teflon frying pan when incubating, i'm sure to use very low heat, and if it should overheat, I get the fan over the stove going right away, and even take the pan outside.

On Tuesday, I'm taking a presentation into a classroom of 80 first graders! Egg anatomy, incubation, will be taking a hen and some eggs, and covering the topic of how poultry, gardens, and farmers help each other. Should be an interesting time for all!

My youngest runs through the house and there's always yelling between the teenage girl and the preteen girl, it didn't seem to bother our last hatch or this one so far. I would imagine as long as the bator doesn't get jarred or shaken to severely disturb the eggs it wouldn't make a difference.

I think all of us who have kids feel your pain! If it were me...Id tell the kids that you read online that loud noise can stress the embryos and slamming doors causes vibration that can be harmful to their development. My kids would be walking on eggs shells (pun intended!) until the chicks hatched! Maybe you will have some peace for a few days! ....only problem would be if you had a bad hatch....you could have some guilt ridden kiddos! Of course im just kidding...but oh to dream of the quiet!!!!! Ah!

my incubator is in my special needs classroom---so I told my kids that the tiny growing chicks are like a baby inside their mother's--and they can hear sounds from the outside. I had them cover their ears and made some noises for them to understand that sound CAN get through. They are a little more aware, and a bit more quiet--

hey not so lazy gardner! it's people like you that get people like me in this incubating frenzy! Thanks for sharing what you love with kids

Oh yes I am. The lazy refers to my system of gardening: heavy mulch, (cuts way down on the weeds, and any weeds that grow are either turned into liquid fertilizer, left to do their thing, or become chicken fodder) letting plants self sow, trellising where I can so I don't have to bend over, And, I LOVE my cattle panels!

Back
Top Bottom