Does yellow tips on a black Austalorp indicate something?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Lobzi, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

I have been told that Chickie is a black Australorp frizzle. Her feathers on her back and neck have developed with yellow edges and tips. Does this indicate anything more about her breed? I found her so I have no definite idea of what she is.
    [​IMG]

2. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    How old is this bird??? I'm sorry, but I keep seeing cockerel characteristics when I look at it. Then again, I'm not very familiar with exactly how the frizzle gene interacts with the male sickles and hackles.

3. Lobzi

she was about 4 months in this pic. She is 5 now and I can find a more current pic.

4. Lobzi

Ok here is one I took about two weeks ago...
    [​IMG]
    Is this more telling?

5. mikarod

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Oh yeah. DEFINITELY a cockerel!

And from the looks of it is not a complete Australorp. The comb doesn't seem to be a single comb.

I can't tell if there is any feathering on his feet (even the slightest) but I will say he looks an AWFUL lot like the Light Brahma (cock) X Black Australorp (Hen) cross we did for meat and eggs.

6. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Oh yeah, that's a boy. Look at the droopy sickle shaped feathers by the rump. Not a pullet.

7. Linda91722

Linda91722 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2008
    California
    I just bought one , she is 2 weeks now and so adorable. I was wondering how are they at egg laying? The chicken farm I got her from said they lay as much as my RR and that they would get along great with my RR.

8. mikarod

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Well, the world record for laying eggs is supposedly held by an Australorp...

9. Lobzi

thanks all, I was hoping she was a girl.

10. Lobzi

Quote:Single comb and no feathering. I dont know cockerel? WHat is that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by