1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does your chicken hang out @ the compost pile?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by akyramoto, Jun 5, 2007.

1. akyramoto

akyramoto Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    Northern CA
    For some reason my hens looooove the compost pile. I usually have it covered up, but I had to throw away the plastic i was using because it had deteriorated so much, after that my girls were goin nuts over the pile! I think I'm gonna have to put a fence around it, or cover it again.

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Yep, had to put wire around mine. Those little stinkers!! Now they just scrounge around the pile.

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Obelisk flies right in and kicks it all around. Slifer used to scratch around the edges from the outside and so does Penny.

4. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    Sounds like a "BUG FEAST" going on! [​IMG]

5. cookiesdaddy

cookiesdaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    California Bay Area
    Yep ... Muffin and Butterscotch (12 weeks old) just discovered the compost pile 2 days ago [​IMG] Have to do something about it!

6. akyramoto

akyramoto Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    Northern CA
    i love that they're naturally 'composters' but I'd like it to stay a pile!! haha!!!

i rake up little piles in the run for them to break down, they love it, just gotta keep them away from the main pile, all kinds of gross stuff in there fermenting.

7. SunChick

SunChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2007
    Bel Air, Maryland
    My neighbors chickens love ours! They free-range, mine don't --cause I'm afraid I won't get my birds back! They also get into my horse's stall and compost her manure...so much for neat little piles to pick up! [​IMG] I have to rake it up after the birdies have had their fun. [​IMG]

8. Sutton5

Sutton5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2007
    Is it bad for the chickens to scratch around in the compost pile?

Rachelle ~ Kansas

9. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    They love it!

10. jaseg

jaseg Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2007
    New Brunswick, Canada
    well I don't see my chickens in there yet, however, the turkeys love it, I just chase them off, then they turn and give me the nastiest look.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by