Does your cockerel dance?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickPeas, Jun 16, 2008.

1. ChickPeas

ChickPeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Iron Station, NC
    I've seen my OEG cockerel bantam dance this funny little dance...he'll drop his wings and shuffle his feet really fast. It's hilarious! I'm assuming it's a courting dance or something? I wish there was a video out there of a chicken doing this ...lol

Does anyone elses' chickens do this?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  2. angelmarie

angelmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    bakersfield
    ya my roo likes to do the elertric slide, aka the "crab walk" they do the dances to attract hens, or to act tough for dominance. I think the funniest thing he does is when i'll feed the chickens and he'll do little clucking sounds like he has something really great to eat, and when the chickens run over to see what he has, he'll pounce on one, and mate them lol sneaky little roo.............[​IMG]

3. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    It's called the dance of love [​IMG] mine does it to, he drops a wing and slides over to the girls.

4. fowlafoot

fowlafoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Midwest
    I keep roosters in 8 breeds and they all do it. The game breeds tend to do it more often. They do it as both a mating/courting ritual and as a reminder of their dominance. I like when they sing at the same time, that's usually a sign it's the romantic version.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by