does your dog eat chicken poop??

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by sunket77, Aug 6, 2009.

1. sunket77

sunket77 Songster

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    My chickens stay in a pen and coop but I have a compost pile behind the coop of old bedding. Also some of the bedding falls out of the coop front door. My dog is fascinated with eating chicken poop about as much as the litter box (that we have to hide!) What can I do?? I am worried b/c chickens carry salmonella I don't want her to get sick!

2. RGEISENDORF

RGEISENDORF In the Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Sedro-Woolley, WA
    oh ya, and horse poop, cat vomit etc. You name it. I refrain from puppy kisses!

3. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Songster

That's their new "treat." Since the birds started free ranging my pups like to search the driveway for poop covered rocks. They suck on the rock like hard candy then spit out a clean rock. the goofs.

4. Isablahblah

Isablahblah Songster

Jul 7, 2009
    mine will eat the bunny's poo but he loves carne asada! ha ha ha! [​IMG]

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yes, every chance he gets. I've told my vet about it when we had him in for his puppy shots. She said not to worry.

6. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Chicken poop, cat poop, rabbit poop....you name it.[​IMG] If he can get to it, he has a feast...

7. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I would worry more if my dog didn't try to eat chicken poop because that would mean he wasn't a normal dog. To him the only thing tastier than chicken poop is cat poop.

8. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Gross as it may be, they're gonna do it! Weiner dogs are the worst. Still doesn't keep me from knocking them across the yard when I catch em at it. [​IMG]

9. I had two beagles that love to eat chicken poop, I just gave one to a friend and have actually thought about taking him some chicken poop. I am afraid he will go into withdrawals if I don't.

10. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Songster

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    I haven't ever seen my dogs eat it but they possibly might be doing it. Now when they lick me I am going to get grossed out - Thanks for this thread [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: