Does your ONE silkie roost at night with the other chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by my4ladies, Aug 10, 2010.

1. my4ladies

my4ladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2010
    I read that silkies sleep on the floor in a "silkie-pile". I wondered, though, if there were no other silkies if a silkie would join the others on a roost....they wouldn't sleep by themselves on the floor, would they?

I have just 4 chicks in the coop who aren't roosting yet. Only one of them is a silkie. For now they're all sleeping in a "chicken pile" [​IMG]

And if it will roost with the others, they can't fly right? So will I have to make on lower for her???? Or maybe just something lower for her to hop onto so as she can hop to the roost?

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    I have just one Silkie and she roosts on the pole at night. She just became a mama and, much to my surprise, taught her 2 week old babies how to roost under her at night!

3. clacasse88

clacasse88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    I have 5 silkies and they always have slept on the floor in a pile. They were raised with other breeds of chicks who all roost now. [​IMG]

4. clacasse88

clacasse88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Quote:Very sweet! That's the day I'm hoping for [​IMG]

5. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Very sweet! That's the day I'm hoping for [​IMG]

Ok, have to share...!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I never expected to hatch eggs under a broody, ever. I have an incubator and have used it plenty of times. However, I received 5 more eggs in the mail than my bator can hold, and my Silkie (Freida) just so happened to be broody, so...it worked out perfectly!

6. Pegs_eggs

Pegs_eggs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2010
    NH
    We have one pen that contains chickens of several breeds, including 3 silkie roosters. Ozzie, the alpha roo, insists on roosting with the gals at night, while the other two prefer to pile together. The roost in that pen is maybe 3' up, and Ozzie was having trouble flying that high. An upside down milk crate solved the problem - he hops up onto it then hops up onto the roost. I think it just depends on the individual chicken - some seem to prefer to pile while others prefer to roost when possible.

7. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    i have 4 LF girls and one silkie just like you. the 4 larger girls roost, and SweetPea (my silkie) lays on the floor and sometimes gets pooped on!!!

8. forrestacres

forrestacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Squam Lakes - NH
    I have 2 bantam Silkies and both roost with our 5 BOs and 3 BRs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by