Does your rabbit do this??

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by kidzmom5, Nov 15, 2009.

1. kidzmom5

kidzmom5 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2009
    Marysville, WA
    She bit off a piece of card board and started acting like she is cleaning its soo funny and we try to take it out of her mouth but we cant get her to let go of it. Also Im not sure if its just because she is going to be a mommy soon. So please let me know. thanks...

2. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    She is probably nesting..you should give her a bit of hay and see if she gathers it up in her mouth and does the same thing! It's cute to watch

3. A1 Steak Sauce

A1 Steak Sauce Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2009
    My House
    Quote:Ditto.

4. kidzmom5

Aug 24, 2009
    Marysville, WA
    [​IMG] Yes we put some hay and she went right for it and put it in her nest box so Im curious how long after do they end up giving birth?

5. A1 Steak Sauce

Nov 6, 2009
    My House
    Quote:Well, I've had rabbits make a nest 2 weeks before, complete with fur, and I've had them not make a nest until 15 or so min. before they kindled, sometimes I got a real "good" mama and they didn't make a nest at all. You just never know... You wouldn't happen to know the date she got bred do you?

6. kidzmom5

Aug 24, 2009
    Marysville, WA
    Nope to be honest I dont because I was told they were brothers but then my sons kindergarten teaher was a 4-h for rabbits and she told me after looking to see if its really boys well I think then is when she bred its been a couple of weeks all I know is she her stomach is bigger and she is not really moving around and she has big nipples and he is starting to build a nest in her box we put in for her. So Im not really sure when she bred but I did separate them.

7. A1 Steak Sauce

Nov 6, 2009
    My House
    That's good, never leave a buck with a doe, the doe could very possibly castrate or even kill the buck, and the buck would probably kill the kits. I'm assuming you don't know how to palpatate the doe? If ya don't, here's how I do it: Make sure she's calm, put your left hand over her back and slide your right hand under her belly and just feel around gently up towards your left hand, it's almost like squeezing her belly in your hand very, very gently. If you feel some marble-sized lumps that move when pressed those are kits. That's a good time to at least try and get a count on them. If the lumps dont move when pressure's applied, that's probably just poo lol. Just keep her in a draft free place; kits can survive just fine in cold weather as long as there's no draft. Even in warm weather a draft can be deadly, ask me how I know that. [​IMG]

Anyway, once she kindles, make sure you count the kits and write down the number and the date, if they start dissapearing she's eating them and you might have to take the nestbox kits and all out of mama's cage and only put them back in for feeding. She'll only feed the kits once or twice a day anyway, as long as their bellies are round they're getting fed. They're born with no fur and their eyes closed, at ten days their eyes should be open and they should be covered with fine fur.

BTW, never a good idea to keep two rabbits, even same sex, together in the same cage. The bucks will fight and might castrate or worst case kill eachother and the does are even more territorial and aggressive than bucks by nature. Rabbits are solitary creatures for the most part, I've had a few that bonded but most of the time when they mature they'd rather be alone except to breed.

Hope this helps some, have any questions feel free to PM or E-Mail.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by