Does your rolled barley smell funny?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ChickensAreSweet, Feb 5, 2011.

1. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have never been exposed to rolled barley before mixing my own feed. I bought some at one of the feed stores I go to- actually several bags. I have only opened one bag thus far.

It smells kind of BAD. Like a little rancid or something? I can't really describe it. It is a terrible odor. Is this just the way barley is supposed to smell? I thought that the ground alfalfa meal that I bought awhile back smelled bad, too- the chickens wouldn't eat it and I threw it under the fruit trees.

Is my nose just being persnickety? Am I too picky? Does anyone else think rolled barley smells bad? Or is my bag rancid and I should open my other bags to check them?

[​IMG]

2. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think it should smell bad, just mild. I think I'd take it back.

3. kfchickenlady

kfchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    N.Calif.
    Quote:X10! It should smell sweet, like cereal.

4. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:Well, I have been using that bag now for quite some time. I cannot take it back at this late date. But I can dispose of it if necessary. I use so many grains that a 50 lb bag of something lasts a long time.

By the way, it smelled like that from the very first time I opened the bag. Brand new.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  5. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:X10! It should smell sweet, like cereal.

Oh dear! My poor chickens. And they have been eating it without complaint, the precious dears. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by