Does your rooster do this?

laboroflove

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 15, 2011
I have noticed several times that our rooster will “guard” the hens in the nests. Today I saw him laying in the nests. Is he teaching the young hens where to lay?? Is he confused? I have just never noticed this behavior from any of our previous roosters that I can recall.

What has me concerned is he was with a flock of hens before (free roam) that used to eat their eggs. Now, I’ve never seen HIM eat any eggs. It was always the hens (new hens I brought in that came with this habit that have now been rehomed with that disclosure 🙄). I have always kept him separate from these current hens due to the fact I didn’t want him teaching them that eggs are food, if he even would. I would let him be with them while they had their free time in the evening and they seemed much happier with him around. So today he is in the coop but he stands by the nests and, what I can only think of, is either guarding them or waiting for food.

Thoughts? Anyone else’s rooster have this behavior? He does check the nests out periodically. Will go in, walk/scratch around then leave or go in and lay down. Am I just being paranoid??

I do not tolerate egg eating and I am really attached to these hens. I did order a cockerel chick with my new chick order so eventually they will have a rooster. I was just thinking if he worked out then they could enjoy a rooster sooner.

I am currently sitting in the chicken house with all my chickens watching him to see how he reacts to hens laying.

PS: Please don’t judge my chicken house too harshly. We are getting things together to get new siding for this very old shed.

Attachments

• 75600A5F-804C-4454-A2BF-F662C485BA58.jpeg
    75600A5F-804C-4454-A2BF-F662C485BA58.jpeg
    661.8 KB · Views: 46
  • E559381C-96F1-4EE2-BADD-4ED3E201927C.jpeg
    E559381C-96F1-4EE2-BADD-4ED3E201927C.jpeg
    810.7 KB · Views: 18
  • F20D00AF-C505-4A76-A233-DEEA56464FC5.jpeg
    F20D00AF-C505-4A76-A233-DEEA56464FC5.jpeg
    772.8 KB · Views: 22
My first flock were grown birds.
The first day the rooster sat in a nest for 45 mins just talking up a storm.
It baffled me.
Later that day there was an egg in there and I learned here at BYC that roosters will show a hen a good place to lay.
He never got in a nest again to my knowledge, once the girls knew where to lay.

Had another rooster stand by the new pullets as they were laying their first eggs.

My first flock were grown birds.
The first day the rooster sat in a nest for 45 mins just talking up a storm.
It baffled me.
Later that day there was an egg in there and I learned here at BYC that roosters will show a hen a good place to lay.
He never got in a nest again to my knowledge, once the girls knew where to lay.

Had another rooster stand by the new pullets as they were laying their first eggs.
These girls are younger than him. They just recently started laying, some not even started yet. It so neat the flock dynamic and how they interact with each other. I love watching them.

I had a young rooster sit in a nest box a few weeks back. Now I know he was just approving my setup.

Unfortunately, some of the girls did not agree. Found this pile in the middle of a large patch of St. John's Wort. I knew there had to be some hidden but took me about a week to find. Picked up 40 eggs that day.

Attachments

• Resized_20230307_180732.jpeg
    Resized_20230307_180732.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 17
I had a young rooster sit in a nest box a few weeks back. Now I know he was just approving my setup.

Unfortunately, some of the girls did not agree. Found this pile in the middle of a large patch of St. John's Wort. I knew there had to be some hidden but took me about a week to find. Picked up 40 eggs that day.
Oh goodness! Naughty girls…

Yes I have seen this a lot with my roosters. They will make a soft cooing noise, start digging bedding away and making a nest in either the corner or a nest box, and the hens will follow him and lay an egg in the nest he makes. I find it quite interesting
I love watching him with the hens. It fascinates me how he interacts with them and the whole dynamic on the flock.

Back
Top Bottom