WatkinsCluckers

Chirping
Mar 2, 2020
Fort Worth, Texas
I have three Silkies, two barred rocks, and one sex link. My Silkies never perch on anything. When they go inside the coop to sleep, they’re always huddled together (no matter how hot) on the floor in the corner. While my three others love to find the tallest perch to sleep on. They’re even like that in the run. Always preferring to just chill on the ground. Anyone else experience this with their Silkies?

Silkie feathers are not like normal chickens and they can't fly so cant perch unless they can jump to it and even then some perfer to just sleep on the ground. I had a rooster silkie who would get up on a 2 foot perch but thats the most impressive thing I have seen them do as far as perching goes.

I have three Silkies, two barred rocks, and one sex link. My Silkies never perch on anything. When they go inside the coop to sleep, they’re always huddled together (no matter how hot) on the floor in the corner. While my three others love to find the tallest perch to sleep on. They’re even like that in the run. Always preferring to just chill on the ground. Anyone else experience this with their Silkies?
My 5 silkies are all scared of heights! They have never perched and I don’t think they ever will. It’s normal for silkies not to perch. Ive never had a silkie that has perched... ever!

I've just been wondering that myself, my silkies are ~5 weeks and never really used any of the training perches I tried, makes sense they'd have a weaker roosting instinct. Although I have a couple that love to jump up on their feeders they never seem to do it at night.
00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200613081514931_COVER.jpg

They do love to cuddle puddle and nap like that even in the daytime.

I've just been wondering that myself, my silkies are ~5 weeks and never really used any of the training perches I tried, makes sense they'd have a weaker roosting instinct. Although I have a couple that love to jump up on their feeders they never seem to do it at night. View attachment 2194075
They do love to cuddle puddle and nap like that even in the daytime.
They’re cute!!

Back
Top Bottom