Does your spouse or significant other support your chicken hobby?

Wednesday

Songster
6 Years
Aug 3, 2013
Oviedo, FL
Trying to focus on the positive and kind things my hubby has done for me such as helping me build coop and run even though we fought like crazy while doing it. I think he blames me for have predator losses since I let the chickens free ranged and stray dogs got them twice on our property.It has not been smooth sailing here. Wondering how it has been for the rest of you all? From ever growing chicken math to predator losses, what have been your experiences?

Last edited:
All my chicken keeping chores have fallen to my honey since I was diagnosed with leukemia in June. He's been wonderful! He's always been the builder and the predator control. Plus, when my bantam roo went unexpectedly mean, all I had to do was say "honey, can that rooster not be here when I come home" and that was that. The roo had kinda been my favorite and it was hard for me.

When I free ranged and had predator losses, he didn't really care, he wasn't emotionally invested in the birds. He willingly shoots raccoons. He encourages me to put eggs under a broody, even while I'm sick and I can't take care of them, because he knows chicks make me happy. He really doesn't like butchering, but he will. And he eats whatever I cook and tells me how great it is! I'm pretty blessed.

My husband was less than supportive to the point that he, at first would not even help me build the coop. Once they started laying eggs, and we had enough so many in fact that his coworkers were asking if they could purchase them and then he had some pin money....The great chicken venture was suddenly his idea and he really got into it. We had our issues and our losses too. I lost all of our laying hens this summer because they got stuck in the coop on a very hot day when I went to church. He was traveling and even offered to get chicks and bring them home.

Be patient and very appreciative of anything your spouse does because often it is not because they necessarily changed their paradigm about chickens but more often it is a way they show they care about us and that is a truly sweet thing.

Caroline

Mrs. Mudd is very supportive and appreciative, and fairly helpful as well. I still do most of the work, but she likes to be involved. She understands that losses are part of the game. She went from thinking the six I originally bought were too many, to understanding why I bought another either, to wanting to help pick out the next eight. Now she'll point at one hen or another and say, "You need to hatch some of her eggs."

LOL it is great that she can see the beauty in the hens and want more!

We had chickens years ago and then had to move out of the area for new jobs so we had a part-time caretaker. That didn't work out in the end and all the chickens were lost to predators. After that I didn't want to invest time and money into any more chickens. Nor my heart.

Five years into the future, I am fortunate enough to work from home now but was reluctant to get chickens. During the TSC Chick days, my hubby convinced me to get chickens (and ducks my great weakness). It's been lots of arguments since then. We already had a coop but no duck pens and that was like pulling teeth to get it done. I helped him build the pens and suddenly this weekend, he is no longer interested in having chickens or ducks. It doesn't matter to me as I have now invested time and energy into the birds AND I LOVE THEM!

I guess I will be designing and building my own duck houses. Right now they have glorious outdoor pens but just a Tractor Supply Cattle waterer laid on its side as their house. This is fine for the summer months but even though summer isn't even here yet, WINTER is right around the corner. LOL!

I think it's important to invest in the things we love, even if no one else can or wants to, so I say BRAVO to you. Chickens have enriched my life so much, I can't even begin to express it. I say go for it and enjoy!

Last edited:
Yes he does. He even drove 1 and half hours home from work in the middle of the day to help me bury a heap of ducks a neighbours dog killed many years ago. Great hubby mine :)

Last edited:
My hubby really doesn't do much as far as the chickens go. I keep wanting more and so far he hasn't complained much. He bought me a sterling silver chicken pendant the other day for my birthday. My birthday isn't until November LMAO. He said it was the only thing he can think of that I would like for sure. Emeralds would've been nice -hehe just kidding-kinda!

But I can bet when the time comes for meat, or a mean rooster soup, he will probably begrudge me for having to do the killing for me. Until then I am happily doing what I want!!!

As long as I don't ask him to do much with them, my hubby is fine. He fought tooth and nail against chickens initially ( we are urban and can only have 5), but my persistence won out after about 2 years of talking about it. He grudgingly agreed to them (probably just to get me to shut up) as long as he didn't have to build the coop and clean up chicken poop. So my sister and I got out the power tools and did our best with building a small coop. My hubby did help frame the run because he had this weird idea I can't use a level and get things square. Bwahaha! Now our day old chicks are 21weeks old and have started laying little tiny "newbie" eggs. Hubby gets a kick out of the size. I assumed he ignored the chickens but the other day he told me they are kinda funny to watch, so he must pay some attention on the sly. I about fell on my butt in shock the other day when I was moving them by hand from our coop/run to a temporary fenced run I made on a garden bed, and he showed up to help. He actually carried a grown chicken 20 feet and then exclaimed "they are so soft!" I think he secretly likes them but doesn't want to let on to that since he was so against them in the beginning.

Back
Top Bottom