dog agressisve to other dogs... Can it be stopped?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by stephanie1992, Oct 30, 2011.

1. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

i have a dog (chihuahua) that will growl and snap when other dogs go near him. after a while of being around the other dogs hes fine and wont do it. but im afraid for him cuz he does it to big dogs sometimes and all it takes is one bite from a big dog and hes gone. is there a way to get him to stop doing that or is it just a Chihuahua thing that cant be stopped? hes gotten better as hes gotten older. hes a year old. and hes only aggresive to sertaint dogs, not all. ive been working with him since ive gotten him. will he aventuly get better?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  2. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    No, it won't just go away. Yes, it can be helped. First of all, realize that he is most likely reacting out of fear, not meanness. Make his experiences when he is near other dogs good. It seems counterintuitive, but when other dogs come near, treat him and praise him.
    Look up "leash reactivity" and read what to do. His problems may not only be on leash, but the idea ins he same.

3. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    Little dogs often have "small dog syndrome". They are allowed to get away with things we would NEVER permit from our big dogs. I am guilty of this too.....I have two little long coated chihuahuas (one weighs 3 pounds) and they get away with a lot more than I'd ever allow my big dogs to get away with. Here's a great article that explains more about this problem and some steps to correct it.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/articles/smalltoydogs.htm

4. watchdogps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Quote:While its true that smalls are allowed to get away with this stuff, I thoroughly disagree with the advice given about correcting one that is growling @ other dogs. Small dogs who act aggressive towards large dogs are simply saying " look, ya big oaf, just cuz I'm smallr than your head doesn't mean you can pick on me!" Yes, they may do it before the dog has done anything, but they are just making sure. If you saw a person the size of a silo coming at you, you might warn them not to mess with you too.
    By teaching them a better association and also not allowing any bigger dogs to bother them, they can learn to relax and not be offensive.

5. stephanie1992

where i statrted to work has two dogs. and my dog has to be with me because im here all week and no one to take care of hom at home. the other two dogs are bothe female, ones a pit bull mix and the others a long hair chihuahua, very friendly dogs that want to play with my dog. my dogs a male short hair chihuahua that wants nothing to do with them. he runs from them and growns and snaps at them when they come near

6. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I would recommend the book Control Unleashed. In fact, if you can find a class teaching this, it would be ideal. Around Phoenix, there are quite a few Control Unleashed classes. Very good class for dog aggression.
    This can be worked on, although you will always have to be on guard. With toy dogs, you need to be on guard, anyway, since they are so easily injured. I have a chihuahua, papillon and Doberman. At shows, when I'm walking my toy dogs I am always ready to pick them up if somebody shows aggression towards them, or, if my dogs show aggression towards someone else. With the Doberman, who is very passive, I'm able to relax a lot more, although you always have to pay attention while in close situations with lots of dogs.
    Attending obedience and agility classes will also be helpful and fun.

7. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I don't care what the breed, though I've noticed this more in the breed mentioned, aggression towards other animals has its place but shouldn't be tolerated in any other situation that isn't guarding of territory of the yard/animals therein. I had a GP mix that, when given a territory and a partner, became aggressive towards other dogs that came in our yard. I did not discourage this because I needed that aggression for my livestock safety.

But, in normal every day life...say out in the public or in the house, this was never allowed or encouraged. The dog knew the difference after the first correction and it just didn't happen. A dog that barks or growls out of fear will bite out of fear. Biting should only be a defense, not an offense, no matter the size of the dog.

I'd train that out real quick and in a hurry before you are paying someone's vet bill...small teeth can still rip open an eye or nose.

8. watchdogps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Quote:This isnt truly aggression, its fear. "correction" will only make it worse. You might restrain thedogs tendency to do it, but you havent changed the way he feels, and at some point it will come up again. A better way to address it is to actually chnage the dogs association and allow him to learn the other dogs arent going to hurt him.

Oh, and of course this breed is more likely to be scared than others - they are tiny! A beagle is big to them, and while we may say "oh the big dog doesnt mean any harm", a paw swipe by a cocker spaniel is like a linebacker tackling you or I for these guys. is it really any wonder they get grumpy?

9. watchdogps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Quote:You need to set up a safe space for your dog. A playpen or a gate around your workspace so the other dogs cant come bother him.

10. stephanie1992

Quote:You need to set up a safe space for your dog. A playpen or a gate around your workspace so the other dogs cant come bother him.

he has his crate, but when he goes in it and the other dogs come around he gaurds it. hes getting better around these dogs now tho. hes still protective and growls sometimes. but hes getting better

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by