Dog and chickens !!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mrsroeder2012, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Mrsroeder2012

Mrsroeder2012 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2012
    Jamestown,Ky
    My Coop
    I have my dogs and my chickens beside each other and I was wondering if my dogs could be caged with my chickens, I have a German Shepard and a English Springer Spaniel and I have had chickens fly over to their cage and walk around in there, course I would get them out but the dogs would not pay ANY attention to them, all they would do is play but nothing to hurt them what so ever ........So the Question is........Can I put my dogs with my chickens? I'm thinking predator problems to, I don't have any but if I ever did the dog would not allow it at all they wont even let strangers around them while in the cage, so let me know u think.....Thank you!!!!!!!!

2. Big Bubba

Big Bubba Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2013
    My dog and chickens get along great. I don't leave the chickens alone unless the dog is there. Albeit, a short amount of time.

I think the general concern is the chickens get comfortable with animals they shouldn't get comfortable with. Just imagine a fox wanders in and the hens are like, "Look, one of those cute puppies we like to play with."

3. Mrsroeder2012

Mrsroeder2012 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2012
    Jamestown,Ky
    My Coop
    very true thank you for thoughts on this

4. CAjerseychick

CAjerseychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    Northern California!
    I let my dogs and chickens share 2 acres, but I would never pen them up together-- dogs are too mischeivous and would get bored and the hens would be like a doggie play toy with a bad ending for the "Toy"-- for ex they know they arent supposed to - but they still cant resist chasing the cats...
    I dont think hens would think a Fox was a friend though-- the behaviors would be very different...
    And, my dogs are great predator prevention, just dont pen them up tight with the hens....

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    It depends on how much time and effort you want to put into training your dogs. We had a black lab ( great hunter) for 10 years who was never a problem with the chickens. But he was taught from the first day wwe had him that they were off limits. My chickens free range, though. I don't think I'd chance caging two dogs with the birds. I would train the dogs so they could range together.

6. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2012
    Maryland
    I would not. Those breeds are some known to get bored and kill chickens, then they learn it's fun to kill chickens, and you have a big problem on your hands then. Guess how I know...

I have Great Pyrenees, puppies, and I would never pen my dogs and chickens together with no supervision. I got the dogs for predator control, but they are young, and accidents can happen. We free range the birds, but when when we are not home, the dogs are penned up to prevent accidents.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Actually, you do. Dogs are so domesticated we forget they ARE predators! And chickens are prey.

Besides, how much space do your birds have? I'm thinking it would have to be a LOT of space for chickens and two dogs to get along and not be living in each other's poop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by