Dog and pigs. very cute pics

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Freebie, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Whenever Hotwings comes over to visit, she brings her dog Dodge. He loves pigs!! Ususally he must sit and whine behind the fence. On this day we let him in with the piglets. I think he is in love!!!

It was a very bright day, so I had to try to adjust the brightness. I hope they look ok.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    How cute! Looks like the pigs like him too. [​IMG]

3. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    that is so sweet. [​IMG] how old to pigs (non meats) live to be?

4. Freebie

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Quote:I don't know the answer to that. But I bet they can live for sometime if not butchered and fed properly.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  5. picklespickles

Oct 27, 2007
    so you eat yours. do you have a hard time not geting attached? do you have a certain one you won't eat? or can you just do them all when the proper time comes? i have always thought pigs were so cute. they taste fabulous. but i wonder if i would really be able to do the deed. how did you learn to?

6. Freebie

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    I do eat pork, though I prefer bacon, sausage and ham. I am not a big fan of chops and the other steak type cuts. I don't do the killing or butchering. I do not even like to be home when it is done. We send it out for butchering and they usually do the killing here on the farm. But, I could not kill or watch anything be killed. While I know that it is necessary, I also know my limitations. We did have to put two of the babies down, and I could not really be around that either.

7. picklespickles

Oct 27, 2007
    what does it cost to have it killed by someone else? approximately? like by the pound or the mileage or ?

8. Freebie

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Quote:I am not sure as my husband takes care of all that, but it is included in the price of the butchering. And I think it depends on how you have it cut more than anything else. I don't think that mileage, as we use someone local. But I do know that the last time we had it done, We had half done for like a pig roast and that was way cheaper, but you have to have someplace to put 1/2 of a pig. And the rest done in bacon, sausage, ham, and the steak cuts. If you want like brats made or summer sausage, that costs more. Hope that answers some of your questions. Oh, and I am sure it depends on where you live as well.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  9. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    THANKS FOR SHAREING

I LOVE PIGS

THEY ARE SO COOL TO WATCH!

10. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Now that we are raising pigs, I cannot imagine not having pigs around the farm. The flavor of our pork is so outstanding, it tastes nothing like what you get at the grocery store. We even cured our own bacon this year and have a proscuttio hanging on the porch wind curing as we speak.

I take all my pigs through a USDA inspected processor in Oregon; since we have to go that route in order to be able to sell the pork by-the-cut at the Farm Market. The slaughter fee is around $40. They they charge $0.83 per pound based on hanging weight (mine usually hang around 180-200) with small extra charges for curing hams or bacon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by