DOG ATE CHICKEN WING OFF... PICS and SHE LIVES!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by barnwife, May 9, 2009.

1. barnwife

barnwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    My chicken is still alive. I found a puppy chewing one of my 12 week old bb red cubalaya pullets' wing off and plucking the feathers out on that side of her.

I have no idea how much blood was lost as the dog was licking it all up.

She has lost most of her wing, up top the meatiest part. she is sluggish and can still stand. I have bandaged it with a maxi pad cut in half (absorbtion) and some medical tape to keep her from picking at herself.

She has her own cage and antibiotics and electrolytes in her water, and yogurt with some crumble sprinkled in it.

It has been two hours, and she is still alive and can walk around. She does not mind being held and I wrap her up in a towel and lay her on my chest to keep track of her for a few minutes and then place her back in her emergency cage which is 85 degrees.

Anyone else know what to do? I realize its a chicken and I can order more....but at the same time this particular life is my responsibility as well. If I can get some more info on what to do without spending outside my budget (no vet care, i would then have to bandage my own removed arm for the cost!!).

Thank-you in advance!

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

The responsible thing to do would be to cull....

3. NotTheMomma

NotTheMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Chick is probably in shock. Make sure you give her some electrolytes and vitamins in the water for a few days. Increase her protein to aide in healing. If she is suffering, or has lost too much blood, there probably isn't anything you can do to help her. Culling might be the best, but see how she is in another day or so, and go from there. With dog attacks, you'll also want to watch for infection setting in.

Good luck!

4. Raven1

Raven1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Carthage, TN
    I am so sorry for your chicken I would not know what else you could do at home wishing you all the good luck in the world for your pullet is she trying to eat or drink? You may have to cull but give her a chance just dont let her suffer long

5. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    There are quite a few folks on here who've had similar experiences. Their birds recovered and went on to live productive lives. Keep it flushed with saline and bandaged loosely. Keep giving antibiotics, penn-G is really good for this kind of boo-boo. Make sure she's eating and drinking. Poly-vi-sol vitamins are a real health booster. Keep her in a quiet, darkish place. If her reproductive system isn't compromised, she's still a useful member of the team.

6. barnwife

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    Thanks for all the encouragement!! She seems to be content to just chill for the moment.

She has drank a bit, especially while I was washing the wound. She has not bled very much since I got her away from the pup, and nothing but her wing has anything but minor plucking done.

The wing is gone from just above the joint (where it starts to get meaty for yummy chicken wings)...so she has a stump from shoulder to just slightly above...no bones sticking out (I'm not certain how this happened) and the bleeding has stopped.

There are ZERO puncture wounds...it's like the pup more played with her like a stuffed toy, taking her feathers out and then just happened to chew on the thing htat stuck out? I dunno.

Her head and neck are fine...just plucking on one side and 3/4 of her wing gone.

Thank-you for your help!

She is eating some now, and just acting a bit dazed. I am keeping her in my incubation/new hatch room. Quiet, no breeze, nice n warm.

There's a lot of good info on here in various threads. They have been very helpful, and thank-you for all the encouragement!

7. Me&Chooks

Me&Chooks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2009
    IOM
    Awhh Poor thing
    How is she doing??

8. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    Please call your vet and get some pain medication for the baby. Animals heal much better when the stress of pain is relieved. Good luck.

9. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    One more important factor--if there's any dead skin hanging around, cut it off and flush the area with saline. Dead skin will draw infection. I would also trim the feathers in the area to ensure none are sticking to the wound.

10. barnwife

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    Kinnip....

the dog plucked the entire wing clean (thankfully) and there was nothing dead left on the area. I will cut anything back that needs cut, but everything seems scabbed over very very well.

She is acting exactly the same as any other chicken now...as if nothing happened!!

I think she is going to make it...just with a funny nickname perhaps. Chickens can be so very strong at times...and at others so very fragile.

YAY for strong chickens!

It is so funny to see her walking/strutting on the floor of my house...as if SHE owns it!! I know breeds that were developed for fighting are good at recovering from injury (such as games and cubalayas)... but WOW!
    Thank-you all for your help!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by