Dog ate the Christmas candy! Now what?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by frankenchick, Dec 22, 2009.

  1. frankenchick

    frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

    641
    10
    174
    Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    Pepper, our 65# pound puppy, ate about 12 oz. of Andes candy -- wrappers and all. How sick will she be, and when can we expect her to . . . expel the wrappers?

    She has become terrible about stealing any food she can reach, even if it involves getting up on the table. For four years this was not a problem . . . was she just lulling us into a false sense of security?
     
  2. maplesky7

    maplesky7 Flock Mistress

    Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    call your vet


    My dog has eaten granola shiny wrappers without my knowledge and has passed it.


    But chocolate is a big no no to dogs. Call your vet and ask them.
     
  3. CedarRidgeChicks

    CedarRidgeChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

    May 5, 2009
    Adair Co.Ky
    yep..call the vet..several years ago my daughters poodle jump up on the table during the night and ate an entire pack (12oz?) hersheys kisses..most of the wrappers..the outcome wasn't good..but she was only 5-6 lbs.
     
  4. toletiquesbysam

    toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

    Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    My sisters Beagle ate our chocolate macadamia nuts one year that were from our family in Hawaii, my Dad almost killed the dog but the chocolate didn't!! Hopefully your dog will be fine as well!!!
     
  5. TipsyDog

    TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

    May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    I wouldn't worry about it. Expect loose stool and possible vomit. My dog once ate ALOT of chocolate with wrappers and he was fine. The saving grace here is his size. A 65 pound dog can handle that amount of candy (not that much actual chocolate in Andes). He will not be feeling well for a day and then he'll probably go and do it again [​IMG]
     
  6. thebritt

    thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

    Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    While true that chocolate is a big NO-NO, milk chocolate is less of a threat than dark. However, 12 oz is a lot. The vet would most likely give an IV with fluids to help flush the system. BUMMER....Good luck.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by