Dog attach - Knee is swollen - black and blue

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by whoacowboy, Oct 1, 2011.

1. whoacowboy

whoacowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Town of Clayton
    I posted a topic two days ago but condition is worsining. My hen was attacked by a stray dog. Her knee is swollen, and black and blue. She is eating and drinking but prefers to lay down. She won't put pressure on leg. I have been keeping her belly and legs clean, using neosporin and have started her on an antibiotic. I'm not sure how serious this is or what the next step is. Any thoughts? Thank you, I am desperate to help her.

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Can you post a picture? That might help others provide more specific advice.

You want to make sure there are no puncture wounds, as those can get badly infected. If it is just badly bruised, then isolate her in a clean dry cage or pen. Give her plenty of fresh water and high protein food, like mashed hard boiled eggs. Make sure she continues to eat and drink. You do want to allow her time to heal. It might takes weeks, or a month.

3. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    It sounds like the leg could be broken/ fractured/ or very badly bruised up.

Unless you are willing to take her to the vet I don't see much you can do, maybe try splinting if you feel it's necessary.

If it's not in a weird angle I would just leave her in quarantine and take care of her as best as you can until it heals.

As the previous poster said it could take a month or more.

4. whoacowboy

Jul 6, 2011
    Town of Clayton
    I will get a picture up soon. It's not angled different. It is swollen and the black and blue is on the inside of the knee. And she does move it to tuck in. Also, she has hobbled over to where she usuall lays her eggs. She is by herslef. And still eating and drinking. Would she hobble if it was broken? Thanks, everyone. This is my first chicken injury.

5. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i haven't had a chicken with a broken leg, but i do have a duck who broke her leg way up high close to the pelvis. i have no idea how that happened. She could walk, but it was a struggle.

6. whoacowboy

Jul 6, 2011
    Town of Clayton
    Here is a picture of her knee area. I can't find any bones puncturing out. It is mainly bruised looking but I don't know what's going on inside.

[​IMG]

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I recommend penecillin G procaine injections be given. It can be purchased from Jefferslivestock.com or call them. Here's a link how to do the injections etc... Post #2
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=352701
    Scroll down to "ANTIBIOTICS" then to "USING PENICILLIN G PROCAINE FOR POULTRY."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by