DOG ATTACK....2 hens and 1 roo, injured but not much blood

Big Red's Mom

Songster
11 Years
Nov 15, 2008
Terry, Mississippi
Yesterday it rained here all day....I let my little flock out to eat worms and dig around. All was fine...Wet but fine... I went inside to start supper and a friend called me and said a dog has one of your birds. I ran outside yelling at the dog. He dropped the bird (snow) and ran off. I ran to her and picked her up. She was still alive but very muddy. I took her inside to clean her up when my husband can in saying the dog was back and after all the birds. My brave Roo (Big Red) was trying to run him off and he got bitten. Then the dog ran after another RIR hen. She was missing for a while. We finally got all the birds back in the coop. I rinsed most of the mud off of snow (EE) and she only had a few teeth marks no blood. Thank goodness the skin was not broken. My son held her inside wrapped in a towel to keep her warm. I went out to check the Roo. He has a bite mark on one leg and his chest on one side and his wing on the other. Very minor cuts from the teeth. No boken bones. They all have missing feathers......feathers are all over my yard. I put Blue Liquid on the roo's bites. By the time I got everyone cleaned up and treated it was time to go on the roost. I put Snow back in the coop and she went to roost. We found the RIR hen on my porch roosting on a chair. She looks like she only lost feathers. I left the light on for a while to help warm them up.

I checked on them this morning and they are all eating and drinking. Snow has cleaned most of the remaining mud off of herself and the roo is doing okay.

What else should I do?
Snow and Roo are my sons fav. birds he was so upset and hurt that the dog was trying to take his birds.
I let him know we are very lucky that we have not lost one from the attack.

***We contacted the owner and he is taking extra measures to keep his dog at home***

Is it possible to fence in their free range area so daytime preditors can't get them? Do you have a strong nite time coop? These things really help against the neighbors dogs! So sorry you have to put up with the neighbors dogs, I can really sympathize! and then add the neighbors 20 something peacocks! agggggghhhhhhhhh! Good luck in your solution!

eta: there is a great coop section on this site!

Last edited:
I do have a strong coop....so far.
We are going to put up a fence this spring....it is just too wet now. I guess we will have to do free range watches in short periods of time just to keep the girls and boy happy. When I first started letting them out I did it a couple of hours before sun down and things went well. Maybe that is a solution for now.

Thank you for your help.

andehens ---20+ peacocks......it is not quiet around your place much?

Ha! Ha! Peafowl is very noisy! And they can be set off any time day or night! Finally though, the neighbors are keeping them in a pen, that is a huge step in the right direction.

A couple of hours of supervised free range before sunset while I'm outside any way has worked for me too! Good Luck!

barnie.gif
Dogs

I was checking out my Roo and he is doing okay. His wing is not broken. He has some nasty bruises on his wing and leg. He looks like he might be sore. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Good news is he is trying to breed the girls, so I guess he is up to that .
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom