Dog attack - 2 missing, 1 dead, 1 unsure

oystercrackers

Songster
Jul 28, 2019
Midwest, USA
2 huskies broke into my chicken run with my 4 hens while i was having my family take care of them- The whole dog attack was less than 3 minutes overall, but had some pretty devasting effects. One of my hens was killed, the other two are still missing and one got badly injured. This was maybe 2/3 days ago, im still pretty upset about it. The most baffling thing was with my injured hen, my family decided to leave her in the run overnight with her injuries, not sure exactly how bad it was but she has multiple puncture wounds in her wing and maybe side. I still don't know why they left her in the run, maybe to help bring the others back? They found a egg where she had been sitting, but no hen and a big hole dug under the fence next to her. She was still mobile and got up and moved occasionally when they were in there, but there was no sign of struggle- no feathers, nothing.one of my theories was that she was already dead when she got taken by something or, possibly a slim chance she escaped herself. Doubtful, but one can hope right?? Im still hoping my two hens are alive out there- ive searched a couple of times now. Any tips on finding them??

also, the shell-less egg she left behind.

Attachments

• IMG_20210902_180707548.jpg
    IMG_20210902_180707548.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 12
I'm sorry for your loss! My guess is the Huskies came back and got the other chickens even the one one left in the run.The only dog I ever raised that killed AND ate animals was a Husky. After 3 years of trying to break him I finally gave him away. He never killed any of my animals but he killed and ate a wild Turkey and a couple of stray cats near his dog house .He ate them after I gave him away.

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss. Dogs will be dogs. Take some time to rethink your security and make changes in your setup as needed. You might not be able to control a stray dog coming on to your property, but maybe you can harden your setup to prevent a future attack. If they dug a hole to get into the chicken run, maybe start with a good predator apron on the perimeter of your fencing. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom